1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2x4s different

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Quadog, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    As I was building my coop I ran out of 2x4s & went to get more. I resumed building & all my framing came up 3 inches shorter than the rest! I measured & the 2x4s are shorter! They are 93" & the others are 96". Crazy ! This really screws things up!!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    If they were 92 5/8", then they were "precuts" instead of the 8' you thought you were getting.

3. B'villechicken

B'villechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Syracuse NY Area
    What he said. They were pre-cuts.

4. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    What is a pre-cut?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Undoubtedly your problem here is what the previous posters say.

However I owuld also point out that you cannot absolutely count on lumber to be the exact size it says it is. About 6 yrs ago when building the horses' big run-in shed I had a large load of lumber delivered (we didn't even have a stn wagon, let alone a truck) and it turned out that all 12 of the 10'-long 2x10s were, in actuality, 9'10 1/2". Being an inch and a half short may sound like something you can cope with, except that we'd already set the four 6x6 16' posts 4' into the ground with concrete and they were built for exactly 10' lumber. It was very aggravating since of course we did not discover this til the lumberyard had closed for a holiday weekend [​IMG] Additionally, I have seen 2x lumber that is only 1.25" thick, not the present-day 'standard' 1.5". So, I tend to measure things before buying a lot more than I used to... [​IMG]

If your problem has resulted in stud walls 3" shorter than other stud walls, would you consider just putting two extra 2x4s atop them to even up the height? It is not as elegant as rebuilding from scratch but as long as it's nailed together real good and you have sheathing on the wall, it should be *fine* IMO.

(e.t.a - a precut is where they've already lopped off the little bit to allow you to build a truly 8' wall by putting studs *on* the one lying on the floor and *under* the one along the top. If your stud was 8' long and you added those two other thicknesses of 2x4 you would end up with a wall a little higher than an 8' sheet of gyprock (or any other sheet goods) would span. If you are doing house-style framing, therefore, you either have to shorten your 8' 2x4s yourself, or buy them precut [​IMG])

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

yes we all know wood can be the wrong size from what they say .

But take your time and measure your wood as you buy , so you know you have what you need !

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I ordered a load of lumber for a shed a few years ago and not only were the 2x8's not 96", none of them were the same length. There was about a 1 1/2" variable and the numbers were all different.

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    A 2x4 stud is 93" period. Then you have x8, x10, and so on...

Marty

9. hilandfrog

hilandfrog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Quote:??

93" is a bit short of 8"

Perhaps I don't understand what a stud is.

I was under the impression that all 2x's were 8'long and upwards 10,12,16,20 etc....

So a stud is only referring to the pre cuts not just any 8' 2X4's

Repo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by