1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2year old bard rock has been on her roost three days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lkcoop66, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Lkcoop66

Lkcoop66 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    I have a 2 year old bard rock that has been on her roost for about three days and unless she comes down to eat at night she hasn't eaten at all. She looks very sad and weak. I had another bard rock pass away about three weeks ago for no known reason. Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would take her down, and check her crop to see if it is empty, feel her keel (breast) bone for any weight loss, check her vent for any diarrhea, and look her over for any nasal or eye drainage that may be symptoms of a respiratory illness. She will probably need some electrolyte water (SaveAChick) is good, or you can make your own. Offer her a scrambled chopped up egg, and you may need to give her fluids by a dropper. Has she been wormed recently, or have you added any new birds?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pedialyte and Gatorade can be substituted for electrolytes. Here is a homemade electrolyte recipe:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

4. Lkcoop66

Lkcoop66 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you very much, I will give that a try. No new chicks in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by