2yo Easter Egger with diarrhea, anemia

OliveChicken

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
Hi,
Last week I quarantined my 2yo Easter Egger to a dog crate so I could keep an eye on her. When I moved her she was significantly lighter and I could feel her keel bone.
I’ve added Poultry probiotic powder to her water and she stayed on the same feed which is Naturna organic layer crumble.
Her crop does empty in the morning and I cannot detect a sour smell from her beak. She had not laid an egg in a few months due to the weather change.
She was wormed three months ago.
Recently I’ve been in the presence of her while pooping and it is not solid and a bit forceful with gas it seems.
Her eyes and comb look good.
I’ve tried to research as best as I can but I have no idea how to help her so any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Attachments

• E9363130-9D16-43F8-841B-239D5A2C9F41.jpeg
    E9363130-9D16-43F8-841B-239D5A2C9F41.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 47
2yo Easter Egger
Her crop does empty in the morning and I cannot detect a sour smell from her beak. She had not laid an egg in a few months due to the weather change.
She was wormed three months ago.
Recently I’ve been in the presence of her while pooping and it is not solid and a bit forceful with gas it seems.
You initially separate her out because of ???...her poop, crop issues, she was lethargic, hadn't laid an egg, not eating/drinking, etc?

What did you worm her with?
Is she molting?
You don't mention your location - what's the change in weather?

Have you felt her abdomen between the legs for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?
When she did lay eggs were they normal - did she have problems laying eggs?

Hopefully we can help you figure this out with more information.

Goodness, sorry!!

I separated initially because of the poop issue plus she seemed lethargic. Would close her eyes when everyone else was busy scratching around. And she’s the lowest in the pecking order so didn’t want any trouble.

Live in Albuquerque, NM

She has been eating and drinking.

She did molt but is at the end of it.

Never any problems laying eggs. Just stopped suddenly.

Thank you!

What did you deworm her with?

I would re-check the crop to make sure it's empty in the morning, look her over really well for lice/mites and feel the abdomen for any bloat/swelling.

Has she perked up any since you separated her and she has her own food/water?

If you can get a fecal float to check for parasites that would be good.

I took the hen into the vet and she couldn’t come w with anything besides telling me to switching from a crumble layer to a pellet layer feed, add greens for fiber and and adding ACV to the water....all for $100! Did a decal float and that was negative also.
I was giving her the greens the other day and notice a weird sideways movement she would do after she pecked a piece off. Any ideas??

I took the hen into the vet and she couldn’t come w with anything besides telling me to switching from a crumble layer to a pellet layer feed, add greens for fiber and and adding ACV to the water....all for $100! Did a decal float and that was negative also.
I was giving her the greens the other day and notice a weird sideways movement she would do after she pecked a piece off. Any ideas??
Never any problems laying eggs. Just stopped suddenly.
I'm sorry the vet visit was not informative.
You mention that she suddenly stopped laying. Did she go into molt? What does her abdomen feel like - below the vent and between the legs?

Like bones really! She has had some more solid poos/pee so that’s encouraging. I tried to post a video of her movement but it would accept. Need to figure that out.
The vet did a full on exam on her too but couldn’t feel anything. The inside of her mouth was perfect as well.

Like bones really! She has had some more solid poos/pee so that’s encouraging. I tried to post a video of her movement but it would accept. Need to figure that out.
The vet did a full on exam on her too but couldn’t feel anything. The inside of her mouth was perfect as well.
For video you will need to upload to youtube or a similar platform, then provide us a link.
The BYC upload does not work:(

Thanks for the video info!
Hopefully this link will work.
I’ve never seen her move like this....
She so cute!
To me, the neck movements is her adjusting the crop. I know you've been checking it, but check it when she goes to bed to see how full it is, then first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks anything, it should be flat/empty.

Back
Top Bottom