2yr old hens going broody? Same as previous year or earlier?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Life is Good!, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Looking for some experienced broody hens...

Our Black Java hens are now in their second spring. Last spring, the girls became broody end of May-early June. This was their first broody experience, mine too! Of 5 hens, 3 eventually became mothers.

The problem: I'm contemplating replacing our rooster. The replacement will be 16wks old at end of May, early June...which is young, but the job could get done from what I've seen of our other Black Java cockerals previously.

Last spring was unseasonably, intolerably warm. This spring is shaping up to be seriously cooler than average. Yes, light conditions are similiar.

Any guess whether or not the 2nd year hens will go broody before last year's timing? I know how complicated this is overall - light conditions, temperatures, hormones, etc...but having some 'experience' from last year, will that change the timing? Several hens took several weeks to figure out if they wanted to sit or not, or what to sit upon (one sat upon a gravel heap for a time - silly chicken!), where to sit.....etc.

This year, no sign of pulled feathers, no lingering ladies in the boxes, everyone wants out to get green things (no bugs yet, too cold!)

Thank you for any input. Roaster might be a guest for Passover, if I think the hens will wait to be broody...just need some experience to help make this decision.

2. Life is Good!

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    No one has any information on this section of the forum? Really?!
    Wierd...really wierd....
    Please advise if you can! Thank you!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, the reason no one answered your post is probably bc you've answered all of your own questions in a roundabout way.
    There's no way for anyone to tell or even begin to guess when your hens will go broody. It may be sooner, it may be later or it may not be at all. They'll do it when their hormones kick in and tell them its time for chicks.
    As far as the cockerel, 16 weeks is young but sure, its possible he can do the job. If that's a concern of yours, keep your mature rooster until your cockerel is breeding. Then butcher the extra.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  4. Life is Good!

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Thanks for the input!
    Didn't know if a pattern of broodiness was predictable or not. Especially since these hens only went broody once last season, not like a silkie who sees an egg and starts sitting!

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I have one chicken (ok--I have more than one, but only one broody [​IMG]), a Speckled Sussex who goes broody every August. You can see her as my avatar after I took her off the nest for a stretch--she was really mad! Three years in a row. So for her, she does seem to have a pattern. Will it happen again this year--I don't have a crystal ball to I have no idea but I would be willing to bet on it based on previous year's performance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by