3:00p.m/8:00p.m. Sun., 6:00a.m. Mon., 6:00p.m. Tues.-Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CallyB57, Dec 8, 2009.

1. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Not sure what to do about my Silkie hen. Above are the hatching times and days of 4 of the 5 eggs she has been setting on (chick 4 has pecked a large hole in its egg and is peeping)..they did begin to hatch late on the 21st day. The only egg left has no peeps or taps coming from it and no pipped hole or anything. In light of how long it has taken the first 4 eggs to hatch (about 51 hours in all), should I just leave her alone to sit on the 5th egg? She finally soiled her nest and I cleaned it up good, and today she soiled it again, but she is beginning to pick up on her eating and she is also teaching the first two chicks to peck at the warm mash I put in the crate/cage for them. However, her crop has almost no feathers on it and feels very warm and spongy. Is this a problem? I thought it might just be from her setting so long on those eggs. If there is a problem with her crop I need to know what to do about it. Any advice will be appreciated..I'm at the point where I'm scared to go off to work and leave her, so please - someone who has experience in these hen-setting and hatching matters, please help me. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by