1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 1/2 month olds laying already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crash812, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Crash812

Crash812 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    I have two Americanas, and Black Australorp, and a golden sexlink. One of them started laying yesterday. Got a second egg of same color and size today. Are one of these know for starting to lay so young? Should I move them of the chicken starter feed and go to layer pellets?
    Thoughts?

2. Crash812

Dec 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    The browns on the right are my old RIR's.
    The two on the left are the new eggs. More red in color.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I would guess the golden sex link... If you're dying to know who laid the egg you can get a little personal with your girls and probably see which pullet is laying the egg. Chickens who aren't laying yet will have a small, dry vent. Chickens who have started to lay will have a larger, moist vent. There's also the trap nest but I'd hate to do that to a young pullet who's just getting to know what it's all about. There's also probably a difference in comb size/color between the one who is laying and the ones that aren't. If you have a game camera that's another way-- or if you're home over the weekend, start checking nest boxes frequently and note the time range the mystery egg appears- then the next day keep an eye out around that time and after ...

Food wise, read what's on your particular brand's bag-- not sure if layer pellets are too soon for the others or not. You could also do switch to flock raiser in the mean time which is meant for all age/laying status birds and start putting out oyster shells for the calcium... or just keep going on the starter and put a dish of oyster shell ...

4. Crash812

Dec 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My Australorp has the biggest and brightest crown.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, start layer pellets and oyster shell...They will do great. Congrats

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Since their sooo young,can they be mated with by roosters,sorry kno hsi isn't my thread I was just very curious.

7. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    If a chicken is laying she's probably receptive to the rooster. However, and maybe someone else will chime in on this - with the pullet eggs being quite small, I wonder how that affects viability of the chick inside. Some of my pullets started off laying 1.2-1.4oz eggs (pee-wee eggs). By comparison, a normal large egg is 2.0 oz+, so there's a big disparity in size- the chick can only grow as big as the shell allows.

8. chickens really

Once the Rooster is breeding the hens the eggs will be fertile..It depends on the hens eggs as which get fertilized...The strong good eggs will produce a Chick if all things with the egg are right. Small fart eggs or Pullet eggs are not going to grow a chick.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I know,but they seems so small still and young I was wondering if they would really submit...

10. chickens really

If The Rooster is breeding he is doing it because he is ready...Not Shooting blanks.
    It is the Hens eggs that need to be nice sized and ready to create the chick. Fertile eggs are fertile no matter what, if the rooster is breeding the hens. It just takes a good egg to grow a chick.

Was that helpful? I hope so....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by