3 1/2 month pullet with feather problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenRiverHen, Dec 2, 2013.

1. GreenRiverHen

GreenRiverHen Out Of The Brooder

HI

I thought my little girl might have mites or lice but i can't find anything on her or in the coop---and everyone else looks great. I did clean out the whole coop and dust with rotenone with sulphur and DE. I filled it with fresh pine shavings and i have separated her so no one can pick on her. I haven't dusted her.

Here are some pictures of the feathers on her back. Her tail is affected too. See how the feathers look frayed and moth eaten? Should i just dust her and hope for the best---or is there something else wrong with her?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks a little like another chicken is pulling out her feathers, by the blood at the base of 2 feathers and new feathers growing in. I don't know what is causing the feather quality problems. Is she getting 18-20% protein grower feed with very little treats? I might increase the protein to 20 or 24% for a little while to see if it makes a difference. I know that 5% sevin dust is an excellent treatment for mites and lice, and they have to be dusted every 7 days until all of the eggs are gone. Here is a good link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

3. GreenRiverHen

I think the others are picking at her now because she has a problem but I don't think they caused it. There was no blood when I first noticed it a couple of days ago. I have her separated now.
    Our feed store isn't ordering any more grower till spring. They say no one is buying it right now. So my husband brought home layer feed a couple weeks ago. I will call around to other feed stores to see if I can find some. I did make her some oatmeal with eggs and catfood to try to get more protein into her.

Thank you for your help.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chick starter is good if you can get the unmedicated, and many feed stores carry rooster feed or gamebird feed that is 20-26%. I would let her back into the flock every day, so that you don't have to re-introduce her which can be a nightmare for an only pullet. Keep posting about this--maybe someone else will have a better suggestion as to what is wrong. I have heard of "feather mites," but I can't find anything more about them. Lice can eat feathers, and can easily be mistaken for mites. Lice are fast moving and mites are slow, if that helps, LOL.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you're curious, dust her with something like 5% Sevin or the poultry dust they sell at feedstores, put her in a box on white paper towels, cover the box and come back in 30-45 minutes, I bet you'll see some bugs when you come back. Both mites and lice can be very hard to see, which is why I always dust, even if I can't see them.

-Kathy

6. GreenRiverHen

I really don't think she has any bugs. I have thoroughly inspected her with a bright light and a magnifying glass.

I have put her in a dog crate inside the coop with the others. They can still see her and sit near her--they just can't peck her. Do you think this will be okay or should i still let her out?

7. GreenRiverHen

Oh, thanks, Kathy. I read your suggestion after I posted last. I will give it a try.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If nothing else it's kind of fun to do. Feather lice are very sneaky and will often hide in the feather shafts.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by