3 1/2 week old chick diet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SportChick, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    My chicks have mostly eat occasional scrambled eggs and sometimes some bread crumbs and stuff. When I let them out in the garden they love to eat the little weeds that seem to be coming up everywhere. I started giving them grit and they love it. Am I causing trouble? Do I really need to limit what they get?

2. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm no expert, but i think as long as they're getting grit and eating enough of their regular food they should be just fine.

I've talked to some people who don't think you should give them anything but chick starter until they are much older, but I think if they were being raised by a mother hen instead of humans they'd be out eating grass and bugs too!

3. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Is anyone else concerned by a more broad diet for young chicks???

4. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    i think thats just fine [​IMG] mine get the good stuff at week one, as long as it is an apropriet size for them to eat and they have grit available , momas always feed the babies a wide variety of stuff , even great big fat earth worms [​IMG]

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I ALWAYS diversify my chicks' diet by the end of their first week. I start early giving them things from my hand that they really like. It helps to socialize them and makes them understand who is the treat bringer.
    Which chick do YOU think will bond with you faster?
    The one that you give grapes and shredded carrots to from your hand?
    Or the one that has a 25 pound gravity feeder filled up with chick starter once a week?

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My chicks are out on grass with their momma from about a week old and eat some of her food from this time.They generally thrive(in spite of momma stuffing flies, beetles etc. into their mouths!)

Chicks have been ranging far and wide and eating any and everything for hundreds of years and their wild cousins do it still, so they should be OK,

I get mine used to me singing 'chickens, chickens' whenever I give them food and by about 7 weeks old when they start to free range they come shooting out from wherever they are foraging when I call them

Sandie

7. SportChick

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks. I will keep doing what I'm doing. I will try calling them the same way so they will learn to come when called.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by