1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 1/2 week old chick with bloody rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SweetProvidence, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SweetProvidence

SweetProvidence Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    I bought my chicks from a local, small farm lady. This chick was perfectly fine yesterday. Her bottom pulses with each breath. Looks like feathers are coming in but none of my other chicks did this. I do not know the breed. She said there was a few 'game chicks' in my box of orpingtons but is that a specific breed?
    Totally new to chicks so no answer is remedial!

2. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    [​IMG]

3. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    [​IMG]

4. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    And she/he just pooped.

5. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    Another pic...maybe it's just feathers coming in but his rear looks a little protruding to me?[​IMG]

6. Avalongirl83

Avalongirl83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Looks like a prolapsed vent. Is this little chickie isolated? If not, the blood could be from others pecking at her. Regardless, she should be cleaned up and isolated ASAP. Keep her warm and hydrated and make sure to add some vitamins to the water. The stress will take a toll on her and vitamins can help offset this. If this is truly a prolapsed vent, you will have to reinsert it manually. Take a Qtip and pull off most of the cotton until you have just a small amount, add a lubricant (vasseline is good) and push the vent back into place. A hemorroid ointment without painkillers should be applied around the inside and internal area of the vent. With open wounds/bleeding a neosporin without painkiller (-caine ingredients) should be applied to avoid infection. Keep her away from other chickens until she is fully healed becuase the sight of red with cause them to peck at her and make it worse. They could actually pull her intestines out completely. :eek:(

Keep us updated.

1 person likes this.
  7. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    Oh wow! Ok going to get her now!!

8. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    What do you mean 'vitamins'. Are there special chick vitamins. If so, I can get them first thing in AM @ farm supply store. For the time being is there anything else I could give her I may have?

9. Avalongirl83

Avalongirl83 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    At the farm supply store you can find a few things, "Save a Chick" or Nutri-Drench for poultry. It will give you directions on how to add it to the water. Some people also use liquid infant vitamins without iron (the kind intended for humans), but I am not sure about what the best dosage would be there. Poly-Visol children's liquid is the name I hear used most often. You can make a homemade electrolyte solution from :1 cup water, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, Use full strength on severely ailing chickens, otherwise mix into their drinking water as needed, a cup per gallon of water. which will help but not completely solve your problem tonight. It is meant mostly to help boost ailing chickens and give their systems a leg up. It won't hurt. At the farm supply store, they may have a spray wound cleanser as well. You'd have to read the directions carefully and see if your baby is old enough or if it is appropriate for the wound. If it is only prolapse with picking, the suggestion from the previous post should work. Any other type of wound and you may need to treat differently.

Good luck and keep us updated on your little guy/gal. :eek:)

10. SweetProvidence

Mar 1, 2014
    West Columbia
    Ok. Not positive it worked because area is so red snd swollen right now. Hopefully prep H will help that.
    Thank you for responding!!! I will update in the morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by