3 1/2 week old chicks are eating black rooster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, May 27, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use a gamebird feed called Black Rooster as a scratch for my chickens. They love it and it's much healthier for them than plain ol' chopped corn.

The ingredients are listed here: http://www.bigvfeeds.com/images/E0184101/3GameBirdFeeds.pdf

(Towards
    the bottom of the page. Sorry it won't let me cut and paste).

I worry about them eating it, but my other choice is to switch to the corn scratch, which my adult birds really don't need weight-wise or not feed scratch at all.

Mama hens are encouraging them to eat the black rooster. I know they are getting plenty of grit, since they are free ranging with the flocks.

None of the chicks are having any type of crop problem. All are growing well.

I'm thinking I should just go with the flow and let them eat it? [​IMG]

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I was encouraged to use gamebird feed from day one..they started on the gamebird starter..they are doing very well on it. I could see the difference in the protein use after the first week..I would see pics of other chicks one week old and mine looked like 2 weeks old due to size and feather growth. They are now almost 4 weeks old and my rooster stands like 8-9" high..no, I am not kidding. The price difference for me is only like $2 on 50lb..so they will be staying on gamebird feed.

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Good information, thanks![​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:are you mixing it in with their reg. feed?

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Nope, just tossing it out as scratch. Small amounts for the entire flock to share.

Black Rooster is not like crumbles or regular chicken feed. It has some pellets, but also grains and seeds, some chopped corn and BOSS.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

Nope, just tossing it out as scratch. Small amounts for the entire flock to share.

Black Rooster is not like crumbles or regular chicken feed. It has some pellets, but also grains and seeds, some chopped corn and BOSS.

I read what was in it and am thinking I might want to try it for my flock although the scratch that I get is called 7 way so I will compare before I buy but thanks for the information.

7. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    Where do you get it???

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They are fine eating it as scratch. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:It's a semi-locally produced feed, so I *think* only available around here and SE Oklahoma, but their website does say they are expanding:

http://www.bigvfeeds.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=5

I wasn't sure if it was a local company or not, but looked in TSC today nope they don't have it. Maybe they'll come East.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by