3 1/2 week old indian runner ducklings

chickenz101

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
When will their bills turn yellow?
When will i be able to telll a male and female apart?
When will they be able to leave the brroder? (I live in England?)

Well, if their bills arent yellow now, then they probably wont ever be.

In another 2 and a half weeks!
big_smile.png

And it depends on how cold it is
big_smile.png

It takes a bit for feathers and bills to change we noticed changes starting at about 8 weeks. Male runners dont quack and females do, males just kinda squeak. We had ours out at about 4 weeks but keppt a close eye on them. We dont have a predator problem but still watched them pretty close. I hope this helps.

Hey, does anyone here have any runner ducks, we have 4 and are concerned about the winter effect on them. We live in northern Wis. They seem to have plenty of warm feeling down and they have adequate housing of course, but we are concerned with frostbite etc. hoping for some veteran winter advice. Thanks

Ditto dry straw over snow, or ground if under cover.

I have a couple of - shall we say - sensitive ducks, so mine spend winter nights in the walkout basement pen. They can get frostbite on the webbing of their feet, I've been told.

Mine shiver when they are very cold. My runners never read the book so they don't huddle together no matter how cold it gets, and they don't go to a sheltered place. What can I say?

Many people with runners keep them colder than mine. I will repeat what Holderread said about ducklings, and I think it applies to adults. Give them an option to move to a warmer place. I'd add - pay attention. It doesn't take long to go from chilly to cold to hypothermic. Some ducks seem smarter about staying warm than others.

Those who have water warmers provide a good option for the ducks to "warm up," even if the water is 35F. Mine don't seem to have trouble until it's below freezing. Sunny days they can handle it better.

My duckies are white (well, will be!
tongue.png
)
and i will upload some pids soon!
Thanks guys!
Anyone else got some pictures of their duck/ducklings?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom