3-4 month old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cat135, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Cat135

Cat135 New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I have 3 chicks and i dont know the gender of them yet 2 are black and one is white. i dont have any pics of them at this age just now though but one of them has a medium crown and the other 2 are just getting them because they are quite small. I have no idea how to figure out whether they are roos or hens PLEASE HELP!!!!Its gotten really annoying me and my sis have wondered whether the big black chicken is a roo because it has big feet and a medium crown and is quite large

I would really appreciate it if some one would reply with some help [​IMG]

i have looked for ways to determine the sex but i havent found anything yet [​IMG] so if you have anything please reply[​IMG]

2. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    I'm afraid it might be a bit too early to accurately determine the gender of your chicks. Where did you get them from?

Also, welcome to the site! [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you don't know the breed and they are different breeds then you won't be able to tell till their feathers change.
    Some breeds have huge combs even on pullets and some breeds have very small combs even on roosters.
    Only if they're the same breed can you go by comb and leg size.
    Best bet is to look for the feathering. Rooster feathers will be pointy especially on the wings, hackles and tails and hens feathers are rounded. Roos will also have tail feathers that curl.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At this age I'll bet we could easily tell you if you could post pictures. Profile shots including legs and entire comb are best, plus the age of the bird.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    If your chicks are 3-4 months old then you'd probably be hearing crows by now if you had a rooster, or at least attempts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by