3-4 Month Old Polish - Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BooeyBird, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tail was plucked by my silkie cockeral that is why it looks that way. Roo or hen?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Pullet for sure. A male would have a more slicked back crest, and pointy feathers in the crest, as well as some saddle feathers and larger wattles/comb.

3. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Ok, I was starting to wonder because my silkie cockeral picks on her/him sometimes. That is why so many tail feathers are missing. Also, I have only had one other polish before tyhis not including one of the chicks that died the first week. But, the one before this I gave away thinking it was a roo. The farm sold him/her so i will never know for sure but I am really hoping your right on this one! :D

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7--you have a pullet. Polish roosters have pointed crest feathers, and more upright stance, and more pronounced comb/wattles. Cockerels will pick on hens just as much as they will on other cockerels, so your cockerel's behavior is normal.

5. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Oh ok. I was wondering though why he only picks on Gizmo and not my cochin bantam. She is about a month older then the two though, so maybe that is why? I know polish tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by