1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3-4 month old pullets that look like 2 month old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenshiha, Oct 13, 2015.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    HI yesterday my friend showed me his 4 month old brahma chicks I saw them when they were 1 month old and looked like they were growing fine then but now they look like they are 2 month olds he feed them wheat seeds and sometimes corn but mostly were I live we all feed chickens wheat seed and grow and lay fine so I don't think that's the problem and I think mine are also runts there 3 months old I can show u mine but I cant show u my friends (MINE ARE 1delaware polish x mabey and 1 Wyandotte)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wheat/corn is a survival diet not an optimum growth diet. If birds are free ranged, they may be able to balance it out by eating insects and vegetation.

3. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Wheat seed and corn do not have the right nutrients for good health and growth; this diet will cause stunted and slow growth as well as possible death. Starter and growing mash/crumbles provide the needed nutrition.

4. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    but the only problem is were I live they don't sell grower mash or starter (but I think they do sell layer feed) can I make my own grower feed oh and my pullets are free ranged and today they look a bit bigger and pink combs but no wattle (really small ones)

5. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Free range birds probably get the nutrition they need. Possibly if you look online you could find what is in growing mash and make your own; unsure of this. It's the birds that get only what their owner feed-those locked in coops and runs-that would be most affected by lack of nutrition from an unbalanced diet. My birds are locked up so I feed as many different items as I can along with the mashes; veggies, fruits, greens, earth worms, etc.

6. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    thanks guys sorry I didn't post any pic my phone had some problems but I will soon I fed them egg grit yesterday and today with the wheat seeds and put a little goat milk in the water can this help growth

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are not Brahmas. They look like game mixes. Games tend to be lightweight, agile birds that are great at foraging.

8. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    Is this pictures of two chickens? The first two pictures look to be pullets and the second two pictures look to be roosters (the comb in the pictures is not clear). They look to be healthy; "runts"-could they be bantams? With those longs legs they do look like game mixes as keesmom states.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  9. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    if you read the thread right I said my friend has the brahmas and these are mine and sorry the pics suck I was also thinking they are bantams first pc Delaware mabey and 2 Wyandotte?

10. chickenshiha

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    the guy I bought them had 3 game roosters asil maybe Delaware game and Wyandotte game crosses with bantams

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by