1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3/4" untreated Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jed1154, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    So, this is what i had available for my coop and what i used. It has a couple of coats of paint on it. How long do you think this will last and hold up?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    3/4" untreated *what*? [​IMG] If plywood, it should last as well as anything else and better than some. If OSB or chipboard or that sort of thing, then not as well, but whether it's a quite sufficiently good lifespan or an unsatisfyingly short one depends largely on how much moisture it gets (from above *and* below).

Any floor will last longer if it has correctly spaced (not too wide apart) floor joists, and you keep it dry. If you do those two things I'd be real surprised not to get at least 15 yrs out of 3/4" plywood. Beyond that, depends how dry is 'dry'.

Dunno if this was really what you were looking for but I did try [​IMG],

(e.t.a. -- oh wait, do you mean you used 3/4" OSB subfloor material for the outer walls of your coop? If so, then assuming it is well painted and you keep it that way, I'd give it at least 6-8 years, probably more)

Pat

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    you may want to put vinyl over the wood to help keep moisture out, I got vinyl square really cheap at the hardware store or you can buy it in sheets.

4. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    Yes, it is 3/4" plywood...like you would put in a house on the second floor, tongue and groove. It is painted on both sides with 3 coats of paint and elevated off of the ground 14", with subfloor joists every 24".

How much is vinyl floor?

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I put vinyl squares on my back porch and we got that 500 year flood and rain in 2006 and we sprung leaks in the ceiling. All my squares curled up on the edges and had to be replaced. Having had that experience I don't believe the squares to be as water/moisture proof as they claim.
    I priced vinyl sheeting for my hen house and will have to wait before I could afford that stuff.

I'd like to put down that super thick varnish that they use over log table tops and bars with coins embedded in them.

6. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Sealed, painted ,and with vinyl over top,should outlast any chicken and maybe you

7. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    Many others have said "it will last well past when you are tired of messing with chickens."

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I wouldn't touch those vinyl squares if someone paid me to use them. With all of the seams every square foot water seeps in and they pop off, curl up, and generally allow all kinds of floor damage int he long run. Of course, with your good, solid paint job, it's possible you won't have much of a problem, but I still wouldn't take the chance. Visit home stores like Lowes and Home depot and see what you come up with--they may have a cheep remnant lying around somewhere.

9. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    what do you suggest i put on it?

10. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I think sheet vinyl would be great if you can get it. if not, your floor sounds like it will last for years. if you keep the litter dry and when you do a thorough cleaning just check for wear on the floor and repaint as necessary. hopefully you used a latex paint. I am build my coop and will paint the walls and floor. If I can I plan on a sheet of vinyl can caulk around the edges. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by