3-4 week barred rock rescue chicks, gender guesses?

gapeach717

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North, ga
Hey guys, another gender guess thread. I got 5 chicks yesterday and they were in TERRIBLE condition from clearly living in waste with about 100 other chicks. anyhow I have gotten their poor feet and butts mostly clean and they are pooping good and eating and drinking great and roosting happily so I think they are ok. Now, here is some pics. I know some go by spots, some legs, some wing patterns, some tail feathers....I have no idea, lol, but it would be good to have an idea as to what my little bunch of barred rock babies are!

Heres the pics! Guesses needed and VERY much appreciated!!! (some feet pics still look a bit cruddy, but if i pulled any more off some would be bleeding!)
barnie.gif

BR CHICK 1

BR CHICK 2

BR CHICK 3

BR CHICK 4

BR CHICK 5

GROUP SHOT 1

PARDON THE POOP

GROUP SHOT 2

Thank you SO much in advance as always!!!
love.gif
I am well aware I am a newbie pain in the butt!

I'm just guessing here but they all look like boys to me. My Barred rocks are 4 weeks old now and by 3 weeks the boys were feathered out like yours and my girl was almost fully feathered and my girl has a perfect white dot on her head and the boys are more smears.

I'm sorry but they look like boys to me too. In the last picture the one on the bottom left may be a girl but they are all awfully light. Girls tend to be darker with less white barring. If you are confused by the dark on the legs are you sure they are barred rock? I had a lady when I first got into chickens that sold me barred rocks when in fact all but 2 were Black Sex Link boys. They look just like barred rocks as chicks the only difference is they have the dark wash on the front of the legs like the female barred rock. When picking out barred rock chicks from straight run look for the darkest chicks with the smallest or well defined head spots, boys head spots will be larger or messy looking kind of hazy and splotchy. Black sex link boys will have a head spot, girls will be all black.

People that know barred rockchickens can usually tell boys from girls by the top spot, feather color, and leg coloring. That chicken farmer may have sold off all of their boys to you. Hopefully number 4 is a girl, but they look like boys. If they are not full-blooded BR's, you might luck out with some girls, since the rules don't apply.

Last edited:
I am not sure what they are, she said barred rock, but, no idea. She has 100 in a plastic tote practically living on top of one another. Now I have 5 boys. I am sad. :(

At this point it's really hard to say, but I think you've got all Roos! But you'll notice they combs will start to get pinker pretty soon, and they will have alot more white on them! Good news though, You rescued them and they have a better chance at life now. Maybe you could find them all good homes!

Back
Top Bottom