3-4 week chick can’t stand and shaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dreamyj, Jun 18, 2018.

1. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
    Hi everyone,
    We got 17 babies on May 24th from McMurray hatchery. All were doing well. Then 2 days ago I found one laying on her side unable to get up. I have had her inside since then but she still can’t stand. Today she is also shaking. She is still eating but have had to give water to her by dropper as I haven’t seen her drink on her own. I have added rooster booster vitamin/electrolyte to the water. She’s eaten some hard boiled egg and some canned cat food along with her normal chick starter. They were vac for Marek and cocci. My dh is going to make a sling for her today. Can anyone please advise what may be happening and how to treat? All 16 other chicks are fine. This one that is ill is a Whiting true blue pullet.

2. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
    Any help or advice please? I

3. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The only three things I can think of is:
    She got cold
    She got sat on in a pile with the other chicks
    The other chicks are keeping her from food and/or water

Does she have pasty butt?

4. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
    She is not shaking now so may have been chilled. But she still cannot stand up. I stand her up and let go she falls forward back down on her side.

5. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Eggcessive likes this.
  6. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
    If this is from a nutritional deficiency how long does it take giving vitamins to see improvement or her be able to walk again?

7. Northern.Ontario

Northern.Ontario Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    Were your chicks vaccinated for Marek's?

8. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
    Yes they were.

9. dreamyj

dreamyj Chirping

Aug 1, 2015
    Shelby Ohio
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, I just saw this thread. I would second the recommendation for some vitamin/electrolytes, such as Poultry Cell 1ml daily. There is a condition called avian encephalomyelitis (AE,) that can cause tremors and lying on their sides. It can strike chicks under one month of age. More commonly, there is coccidiosis, and even though chicks may be vaccinated, it can be possible for them to still get it. You could treat her with Corid, but that can undo the coccidiosis vaccine. You could get some droppings checked for coccidiosis and worms by a local vet—call around for one. Offer the chick water often held up to her beak. Give some soft chopped egg, and wet chick feed. The chick chair or sling may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: