3-4 week old baby chick symptoms...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fearlessbeauty, Jun 19, 2019.

1. fearlessbeauty

fearlessbeauty Hatching

Jun 19, 2019
    Hi there everyone!

I am new to this site, i am in need of some help because i really dont know what to do.
    My uncle has many meat chicks, and i check on them regularly one of them was in real bad shape. I took him home he had spaddled leg, i fixed it now he can walk normally and is even gained weight. He eats well and drinks, but a lot of sneezing and he cant walk very far this is the reason as to why i kept him. The others will just kill him but im also worried hes suffering from an illness and it might be best to put him down even if it will make me very sad
    His symptoms are...

Sneezing often,
    Occasional blood in his pop
    Occasional diarrhea ( i feed him chick starter still with some scrabbled eggs might be too high in protein)
    He looks like he may have a little bit of a swollen head also? But nothing like the pictures ive seen online...
    I am afraid hes got some kind of worm... as he usually will make funny noises like gasping or like hes got a blocked air way when eating and drinking... other then that he sounds fine breathing when hes just sleeping.

I cant bring him back to the flock... i wanted to keep him for a few more weeks until the others will be gone for meat...( very sad i do not like that he does this just adding) but if my little bird is suffering because of an illness very hard to identifie by eye i will do what needs to be done in the most humane way possible ive really bonded with little bird and just want whats best!

Please help!

2. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    The harsh truth is that if this breed was specifically bred as a meat bird, it's internal clock may already be short. Some meat bird varieties are not designed to survive longer than butchering age, for various reasons.

Not all "meat birds" are destined to keel over, however. Many breeds are considered dual purpose. You might be able to save it!

It sounds like Coccidiosis to me. Questionably a respiratory virus, but I struggled with Coccidia myself and had a few birds display some respiratory symptoms with it.
    Access to Tractor Supply or another feed store? You want Corid (drug name is Amprolium.)
    I would begin by dosing this bird directly, undiluted. I found easiest method for a small bird was putting some Corid into a small bowl. Like a measuring cup. Cradle body and wings together, use a finger to gently push beak into the fluid, then let go of head. Typically, they will tip their heads back and you can visibly watch them swallow.

Do not offer other water, just Corid water. Dilute in water at 1/2 teaspoon to 1 quart water. 5 days minimum. I'd also do the direct dosing twice a day for several days.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  3. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Sounds like coccidiosis to me to. IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    By the way, welcome! :welcome You'll find some very intelligent people on here! I am unfortunately not one of them. :plbb

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also treat with Corid for possible coccidiosis (which causes lethargy, runny poops sometimes with blood, puffing up or hunching, and poor appetite.) Add 2 tsp of the liquid Corid to each gallon of water or 1/2 tsp to each quart waterer. Treat for 5-7 days.

He may also have a respiratory disease such as MG or infectious bronchitis. Get some Tylan 50 injectable at a local feed store in the cattle medicines, but give it orally after removing the needle from the syringe. Give him 1/4 ml (0.25 ml) per pound 3 times a day orally for 5 days.

Meat chickens may suffer leg problems or heart problems after they are at butchering age. But many people do keep them as pets, but you should limit his feed intake, so that he doesn’t become to heavy. He also should go outside and forage for some of his food.

6. fearlessbeauty

fearlessbeauty Hatching

Jun 19, 2019
    6381D1A2-BFBA-4D3A-B3FD-9C6C533B0887.jpeg
    Thank you so much for all your advice and opinions, I will try these tips and I do bring him outside daily for exercise and let him peck around he’s a picture of him.

Little bird and I are greatful for all your help!

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: