3-4 week old brown egg layers-rocks,reds,blacks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dinahmoe, Jun 6, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i got these from a friend who hatched too many and now has to have surgery and cannot look after them all.i only got 65.lol.
    He said there could have been some mixed in the bunch-which is fine with me.these are backyard quality and i am selling them as brown egg layers since i am not positive on anything else.they will still make nice layers and good eating.
    i know there are barred rocks,rhode island reds and buff orpingtons.

here is a group shot of the bunch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the lower right has 2 nice dark reds and then the lighter ones.
    [​IMG]

here are some pics of the blacks
    rose comb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    straight comb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rose comb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my questions are:
    1.in the group shot(pic 3),i see a few nicer dark reds but alot of lighter reds.are the lighter ones production type reds or do they looked mixed?some reds do have white legs so could they be a red and buff orp cross?
    2.the blacks-i thougth they were black sex links but some of them have a rose comb.any ideas?

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    1.in the group shot(pic 3),i see a few nicer dark reds but alot of lighter reds.
    are the lighter ones production type reds or do they looked mixed?The darker one might be pure,but the way hatcheries sell there RIR and NHR I would just call em production reds.

some reds do have white legs so could they be a red and buff orp cross?If they have white leggs and are red then they have buff orp in them.

2.the blacks-i thougth they were black sex links but some of them have a rose comb.any ideas?Rose comb means that what he thought was Barred Rock was proubly a Dominique.As for sex link no cause if the barred roo got the red hens then they would just be mixed.You would have to know for sure that the dad was one of the red roos and the hens barred.

But all should be nice brown egg layers well except any little roos...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    The reds look just like my New Hampshire red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by