3-4 week old chick pooping blood. Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TmBm14, Apr 12, 2017.

1. TmBm14

TmBm14 New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    As we were cleaning out our baby chick pin and we noticed blood on some of the flakes. So first we looked over all 25 and found nothing so 2nd we separated them into smaller pins to do a process of elimination. And we have it narrowed down to 3 of them. But why is it pooping blood? What causes It? (The speckled one on the bottom right isn't pooping blood I just watched it go to the potty)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Are they getting medicated starter?.....Sounds like they have coccoid.....They need corrid to get rid of that...

I have never had that issue..:(......:).....

Best wishes...

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes that would be coccidiosis. You need corid to treat it. Follow the diectfions and put it in the water, and it should go away a few days after treatment. Give them the corid water however many days the back says, I think it may be five.

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    All of the chicks will end up getting it as it's easily transmitted. If you have other hens, be very careful to watch your hands and change boots when going between the two! It can kill chicks, but that's only if it's left without treatment. Good luck.

5. TmBm14

TmBm14 New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    No medicated starter, i amI getting some today. I separated him and checked him this morning and he had 1 slightly tinged poo and 2 normal. But I still plan on treating everyone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. chickens really

Sounds good...:)

Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

7. TmBm14

TmBm14 New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Sorry i forgot to say we figured out who it was

8. chickens really

Poor little guy.....Also totally clean the Coop bedding and keep the coop as dry as possible..:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by