1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3-4 weeks old!! Which feed??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjatthefarm, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Hi! The 'kids are 3-4 weeks old now almost fully feathered! Spent their first day in their new run today!!![​IMG]

I understand they don't get layer feed until they lay--right? But I had heard about a grower feed in these posts.

So, my question is; how long do they stay on Chick Starter, when do you add the grower feed, or do all chicks need the grower feed or do you switch right to the layer feed???????

Guidance please. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    OMG! They look so darn cute in their BIG run. Mine are a little younger than yours. This is what I found out looking for feed for my chicks. If you use Purina Start and Grow they can use that until around 18 weeks and then they are switched to Layena. You would not want to continue on the Purina Start and Grow when they are laying because the Purina Start and Grow is medicated.

The Naturewise has the starter and grower. After 6 weeks of the starter, you go onto the grower. They are on the grower from week 7 to 21.

It seems pretty standard that you do the switch at 6 weeks. I looked at another label that came with the organic feed and it is the same.

I hope that helps.

Nancy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I went straight from starter feed to layer feed as I didn't have a source for the inbetween grower feed and I had just enough starter to take me through to just before they started laying. I think I switched them around 16 or 17 weeks to layer. I wouldn't switch them before that.
    Cathryn

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I feed regular chick starter for the first bag or two depending on how many chicks i have. Then I go to a gamebird feed with higher content of protein until they start laying and then I switch them to layer pellets. The girls look really good when I do this and hey get a good dose of the medication before I switch them.

5. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:Thank You luvanimals2!! I am right at the switching time then! Glad I asked!

Thanks!

6. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    can you hear me now? :

I feed regular chick starter for the first bag or two depending on how many chicks i have. Then I go to a gamebird feed with higher content of protein until they start laying and then I switch them to layer pellets. The girls look really good when I do this and hey get a good dose of the medication before I switch them.

That sounds like a plan--Thanks! I will look at the protein levels. But mine 15 have already gone thru maybe FIVE bags [​IMG] of chick starter!!! Maybe I have little piggies![​IMG]

Thanks for the help.​

7. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I believe chick starter til they lay (and even after) and free choice oyster shell when they lay. Higher levels of protein are good in a layer ration but the layer is only recommended. I and others I have read/communicated with here and elsewhere never use layer, per se. I have used only one bag. But it certainly will be adequate for your flock.

8. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:Ok......then stay on chick starter........k. Gee, this is hard to know which is right.[​IMG]

9. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Even DH and I feed differently. Once a certain size or maybe he goes by weeks old.....he switches the layers from chick starter to laying feed.

Me - I stay on chick starter (sometimes it is starter/grower combo - depends on what feed store has in stock) til feathered out -- then I switch to a grower (unless it was the starter/grower combo then I just keep feeding that) until they start laying -- then I switch to laying feed. I do this with all except for my silkies. Grit is offered free choice from several weeks of age. Oyster shell is offered free choice once they start laying, too.

10. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    What do you do for your silkies? I have 7 silkie chicks and am new to them. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by