3-4 y/o Rhode Island Red hen with grapefruit sized pouch

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kathiej4455, Jan 18, 2015.

1. kathiej4455

kathiej4455 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    I have a 3-4 year old Rhode Island Red hen who I thought might have a bit of sour crop, so I gave her a sour crop capsule (I've done this before with her, with success). Her back end was pretty dirty with caked up stuff, so I washed it all off with warm water, dried it, and put her back. She has seemed fine - but what was strange when it seemed like sour crop, was that there was no distended crop - she was actually very thin.

That was a few days ago. Today, I picked her up to see how she was doing, and all of a sudden, she felt much heavier than she should have after only a few days. I felt her crop, and it felt normal, but under her, between her legs, there is a grapefruit sized "pouch" for lack of a better word, that is somewhat palpable (yet she doesn't appear to be in pain), but I can feel what seems like undigested seeds, feed, etc. in there.

Her vent appears normal - I'm not really sure what is going on, nor what exactly to try and do about it. I've never had a chicken with a stuck egg before, so I don't know what to look for. Haven't tried putting my finger in her vent yet - not sure really what to do about that either.

Does anyone have any ideas? If it was in her crop, I could try to vomit her (which I did previously when she actually did have sour crop, and it helped), but it's not in there, it's down much lower.

I'm also not sure how much of an emergency this is, but also if it is one, I need to know what to do asap.

Many thanks,
    Kathie

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds more like an abdominal cyst, such as an ovarian cyst or some other reproductive cyst or tumor. Does she lay eggs anymore? Do you have a picture of it?

3. kathiej4455

Nov 12, 2010
    I will try to get a picture tomorrow - but where it's located, will probably be pretty hard to see. If that's what it is, what can be done for her. I think she was laying a few eggs, but hard to tell. I'll post whatever I can get. Thanks!

4. kathiej4455

Nov 12, 2010
    I just took 2 pics... I don't really know that they will show very much, the first one is from behind and I have my hand underneath to show the area where the pouch is located, and that it feels my entire hand, I think she is eating and nothing is coming out of her. The second is from the front although it is hard to see. She is not acting sick and amazingly can leap up the purchase to the top one. But I know it is just a matter of time until she is in trouble. I just don't know what to do. Oh and it is getting firmer as she is getting more and more filled and her body can only stretch so far?

Can someone please tell me how to add a picture from my phone? I can't find any link on here.

5. kathiej4455

Nov 12, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, these are the best pics I could get. It's a little difficult to get a picture that shows the size of the area that is filling more and more with something, that is not emptying out, obviously. The top one is me with my hand under her - that is where the pouch is, between her legs - about the size of a 1/2 large grapefruit now, and getting harder as she gets fuller. She is acting perfectly normally. I think she would lay an egg from time to time, but she is between 3 & 4 years old, and I'm not sure if she's laid any lately or not. I tried taking a thermometer and putting some lubrication on it and inserting it in her vent, to try and break up any sort of plug that might be there, but it was not a hard glass one, so it was flexible. I'm afraid to insert my finger - I don't want to hurt her. Sure would appreciate any ideas for what I can do to relieve her, or if she is able to be saved. There are not any good avian vets near me, and everytime I've gone, they've diagnosed whatever was wrong as the same thing, when it was not the same thing at all, and prescribed the same meds, and charged me over $250, and the chicken died anyway. I have just had to put out almost $1500 for a horse who is suffering from Cushings, founder, and lastly, an impaction colic, so I really am limited on my funds right now.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so sorry about your hen. I wonder if she maybe has some sort of object blocking her cloaca, such as impacted egg that has become coated and huge. I've only seen pictures of them, but they are products of internal layers. All I can suggest is that you put on a rubber glove, and insert a lubricated finger to feel for such an egg or object. If you feel anything blocking her vent, I would try to lube it up and pry it out, or even try to break it up and get it out. It sounds as if she is totally blocked, so you may not have much to lose. I will try to PM a friend for more advice.

7. kathiej4455

Nov 12, 2010
    Thank you, I will try to do that. YIKES! Poor old girl!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just feel for an obstruction gently. I have never had this problem with my chickens, but it sounds like she may be into some trouble. If you have calcium tablets or Tums, I would try giving her one, which may help her pass the blockage (or egg.) Here is a thread to read and a picture of the reproductive tract:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/854640/egg-bound-nothing-i-could-do

[​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Lube up your finger and try to get a good feel on the inside of her vent and let us know what it feels like. I've seen a few things that have caused lumps like that... cancer, fatty liver, eggs stuck in shell gland and infected repro tracts. Have necropsy pictures of a few if you think they would help.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by