3-4layers..all diff times of day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsdjl3rd, Aug 21, 2014.

1. mrsdjl3rd

mrsdjl3rd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    These goofy girls!! I have to go to the coop 4ish times a day to check eggs because the all have diff laying schedules. Anyone else? Lol
    Can I just wait til the evening and go pick eggs and them not spoil in the 90° heat?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Gathering the eggs at the end of the day is fine - no need to make multiple trips to the coop.

3. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    I'm new to chickens but I have read chickens can only lay an egg every 25-27 hours which means each day the egg would be laid at least an hour later than the day before which is why you have chickens laying at different times of the day. I only have 1 layer so far but she has a pattern of having a very early egg 1 day like before 6am, then a mid morning egg, then about noon the 3rd day, 2 pm the 4th day, and about 4 the 5th day and the 6th day is a break then it starts over. I only get 1 egg a day right now so I pretty much know about when to go get it but I still check many times a day since I'm waiting on 4 others. I am sure at some point I'll get tired of the multiple checks but right now it's fun for me to see if we have eggs. But I too have concerns about leaving the eggs out too long for 1 I live in AZ and it gets to 115 some days and 2 my BA hasnt figured out nesting boxes and lays on the run floor so I'm afraid the egg will get cracked and eaten.

4. mrsdjl3rd

mrsdjl3rd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    Okay I didn't know about schedules. Though since I have so many, there will just be laying all the time I guess haha. It is fun to go pick right now since this is my first time with chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by