ReiK

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Philippines
Hi,

Please help, i have her with her brother since last month. They came with nasal discharge and dyspnea, but i was able to treat them with Premoxil day 1-3 and Ambroxitil day 4-6.

However, last week the female rhode island red had a change in voice, it sounded raspy/phlegmish/blocked/mucoid. This can be heard once she vocalize. No nasal discharge/eye discharge/swelling of sinus observed. She is still eating, drinking, grooming self... occassional sneeze can be heard.
I already tried giving both her and brother the premoxil for 5days but no change. Today i switched to ambroxitil hoping the bromhexine component can cause mucolytic effect if ever.

Had previously adding Moringa extract and Oregano extract on their feeds.

Weather in the area has been quite windy, sudden pours of rains, and sudden heat since these past weeks.

I can't seem to attach a video as it is not supported.

Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• received_2020108081482463.jpeg
    received_2020108081482463.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 37
  • received_1471946999844419.jpeg
    received_1471946999844419.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20211018-174857_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-174857_Messenger.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 5
You have to take care not to overdo the antibiotics. She cam to you sick with symptoms. She may have mycoplasma a chronic respiratory disease. Symptoms may come and go—it is a disease for life and she is a carrier. Overuse of antibiotics can lead to fungal overgrowth.

If you see any yellow or whitish material inside her beak, that could be something like canker or another problem.
I will also try to open its beak and take a picture of the inside and post it here... it is quite dark but i was not able to notice yellow/white but will check again later. Giving both of them pcs of ginger.

Attachments

• 20211025_085637.jpg
    20211025_085637.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It sounds like they have either mycoplasma (MG, CRD) or infectious bronchitis. The latter is a virus, and won’t respond to antibiotics. ILT virus is another disease from a virus. Have you noticed any bad odor from the beaks of the sick birds? That can be a sign of coryza. Most respiratory diseases are contagious and remain in the flock for life due to survivors being carriers.

You have to take care not to overdo the antibiotics. She cam to you sick with symptoms. She may have mycoplasma a chronic respiratory disease. Symptoms may come and go—it is a disease for life and she is a carrier. Overuse of antibiotics can lead to fungal overgrowth.

If you see any yellow or whitish material inside her beak, that could be something like canker or another problem.

I was not able to notice any foul odors, but will try to smell it. I can't see any discharges from both eyes and nose.

It sounds like they have either mycoplasma (MG, CRD) or infectious bronchitis. The latter is a virus, and won’t respond to antibiotics. ILT virus is another disease from a virus. Have you noticed any bad odor from the beaks of the sick birds? That can be a sign of coryza. Most respiratory diseases are contagious and remain in the flock for life due to survivors being carriers.

No foul odor smelled. Tried listening to their lung sounds, occassionally there is lung murmur sound but not often on the female.
Her male brother seems to have been lame as stepping on its own feet(one leg/feet seems more inward = cross walking).. and sometimes with nasal discharge and sneeze.

Constant changing weather on our area(wet, windy, moist then sudden heat)....heavy rains usually.

Yesterday i stopped the antibiotics instead had given extract from fresh oregano leaves and vitamins in their drinking water. Gave also 3pcs 1cm ginger cuts.

Last edited:
Please help..... i saw a lump on left side of the female rhode island cheek. It was connected to the posterior beak side (eye area not connected and is flat). I am doubting of Mycoplasma or Coryza? Is there a single med i can use to cover both? Please help i don't want to lose any of them. Had used the premoxil and ambroxitil to no success. Planning to try Doxylak forte tablet (doxycycline + tiamulin).

Please help.......
this afternoon upon checking, the female rhode island red had a small lump on its left side cheek(lump is connected to the posterior beak, but the skin around the eyes seems flat). Doubt of mycoplasma or coryza. Is there a single med that could cover both diseases? I am planning to start giving tomorrow doxylak forte (doxycycline+tiamulin) tablet to both of them. Is it good? As i had no success with Premoxil and Ambroxitil powders.
Please help. Photo attached to show the small lump.

Attachments

• 20211024_155622.jpg
    20211024_155622.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom