3.5 week old Welsummer chicks; are we girls or boys?

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
These are our two SEXED Welsummer "pullets" from Meyer. They are much heavier and stockier than the other breeds we have. Any guesses as to gender?

Ophelia:
april09010.jpg

Beatrix:
april09012.jpg

left Beatrix, right Ophelia
april09015.jpg

april09017.jpg

april09019.jpg

april09020.jpg

Last edited:
Hope someone who knows Welsummers comes along, but from those photos, they dont look roo-ish to me. The legs are not thick like all my cockerel chicks. I dont currently have any Welsummers, but I do have 16 Wellie eggs in the bator on Day 6, so I'd be interested to see other opinions, but I think they are pullets.

Thanks Cynthia, I hope you're right! I was scared last week when they were just ever so much bigger (and with the corresponding massively thicker legs) than the EEs and RIR they hatched with. They are funny chicks, quite a bit "wilder", more skittish, and scared of us despite being treated the same way. They run and screech when we put a hand in the brooder, while the EEs and RIR fly up to our arm when they see us. They are very pretty and intelligent-looking, though.

They are both girls. The best way to tell the sex of the BBR/LB colored breeds is the breast color. Both of those chicks have a brown breast, if they were male they would have black in the breast.

Oh, goody. Thanks, flyingmonkeypoop... I had been waiting for those breast feathers to come in because I'd seen a pic in which the young cockerel had much darker feathers, and I was hoping that was really a factor. Thanks for confirming that! Yay!

P.S. What does BBR/LR stand for?

Last edited:
My Welsummer girls (kindly identified by members of this site) grew faster than any of my other chicks. They also have stocky strong legs, and love to make chirpy trilling noises! They are a lot noisier than the barred rocks or sex links. The New Hampshire pullet is trying to give them a run for their money on being vocal though. Ironically, I'd named the New Hampshire 'skinny' and it is outgrowing the Buff Orphington and sex links like a weed in a flowerbed. Nice pictures! Here's one of my girls when they were a bit younger....

Welsummersresting.jpg

Back
Top Bottom