3.5 weeks of being a chicken mom and this is what I've learned.

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Well, I've only had chickens for 3.5 weeks and I've learned a lot about chickens. They are great to watch, but the one funny thing I've learned is that chickens are almost like dogs. You put something new in their run, a new roost or something, and they must all think to themselves. "Wow, there is something new in my run, I must hurry over and poop on it." And they all do. I don't know what it is, but it never fails
lau.gif
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, they're also a lot like cats. Jump in your lap and demand attention on their terms - run and scream like you got an axe in your hand if you reach for them on your terms.

Oh yeah, I've seen that too.
big_smile.png

I'm trying not to get too attached, because they are food after all, and I have way to big a soft spot for animals. The fact that we have 14 makes that easier.
sad.png

When do chicken's start getting loud? Mine are 10.5 weeks old, and they are very quiet. I've read a lot on this forum about loud chickens. Will they get really bad?

Last edited:
Mine get really loud with the boking and honking if I don't let them out to free range and just before and after laying an egg. They do sound a lot like a donkey now that you mention it - or a flock of geese.

Back
Top Bottom