1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3.5 weeks of being a chicken mom and this is what I've learned.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 18, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I've only had chickens for 3.5 weeks and I've learned a lot about chickens. They are great to watch, but the one funny thing I've learned is that chickens are almost like dogs. You put something new in their run, a new roost or something, and they must all think to themselves. "Wow, there is something new in my run, I must hurry over and poop on it." And they all do. I don't know what it is, but it never fails [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That seems very familiar... [​IMG]

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    [​IMG]

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yeah, they're also a lot like cats. Jump in your lap and demand attention on their terms - run and scream like you got an axe in your hand if you reach for them on your terms.

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh yeah, I've seen that too. [​IMG]

I'm trying not to get too attached, because they are food after all, and I have way to big a soft spot for animals. The fact that we have 14 makes that easier. [​IMG]

7. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Chickens are also a lot like the neighbor's donkey, LOUD!

8. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    When do chicken's start getting loud? Mine are 10.5 weeks old, and they are very quiet. I've read a lot on this forum about loud chickens. Will they get really bad?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Mine get really loud with the boking and honking if I don't let them out to free range and just before and after laying an egg. They do sound a lot like a donkey now that you mention it - or a flock of geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by