3.5 wk Cuckoo Marans gendre

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bcbug1, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bcbug1

bcbug1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh no, a roo?! or two? I have 4 chicks just over 3 weeks old and 2 are really big - the Cuckoo Marans, which also has a long tail, and the EE are huge compared to the SLW and dark coloured unknown breed, which are much smaller, but the same age (within a day). Can anyone tell me if the Cuckoo is a male or the EE?

[​IMG]

Guy/gal up front and then on the right in the rest of the photos.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bcbug1

Mar 6, 2012
    Anyone? Is 3 1/2 weeks still too early to tell sex?

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm going to say boy, but it is still too early to be 100%

4. bcbug1

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for your guess and the caveat. Guess we'll wait it out on pins and needles! I got 4 from someone who brought them back to Victoria area (Canada) from the US from McMurrary. We went with the hatchery chicks because they were sexed (vs. breeders which only sell straight run) because we're in town and not allowed to have roos. My friend has the other 3 - I'll have to check in with her to see if they all look the same or not. ... and we'll wait...

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm going to say boy as well.

6. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Your EE is a girl.

The Cuckoo Maran looks rooish, but wait and see if he/she starts to get sickle feathers.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's comforting to hear, because I have at least two EEs that look just like the one above! Same exact age too. 3.5 weeks old today :woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by