3 and 1/2 weeks, too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barbeque, May 12, 2010.

1. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    I have a 150 watt bulb at 2 feet above them, is this too hot for them? I have it pointed to a corner & they sleep pretty much anywhere in the brooder.

2. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    I have wondered this myself but I now have witnessed the activity when it's too hot -- my girls move to the side of the box and pant like a dog -- waaay too hot! I've lifted the heat lamp up and all is well...

3. Barbeque

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    well I like to leave the light on, so I can see them at night.
    I don't wanna cook em though!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Should be at about 75F now. Do you have a thermometer in the brooder? Is it a red light?

5. Barbeque

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    Nope and nope.

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well, dang. You can judge by whether they scatter about or cluster under the light, but I like to have a more accurate reading. No biggie though. As for the red light- they don't see the red spectrum as well, so they rest more easily and don't do as much picking on each other. Keeps them calmer.

7. Barbeque

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    Oh. Anyway to change that?
    I really can't invest in another light, this one was $20 or something. [​IMG]
    I have to pay $120 for the coop (great deal! [​IMG])
    sooooo....[​IMG]

8. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I found a 100 watt red outdoor spotlight at a hardware store for $6.00. I use the 250 watt red when brooding in the unheated shop, the 100 watt red when brooding in the house.

Over time I have found that chicks don't really NEED to start at 95F - starting at 90F with a red bulb seems to really work. Reduce the temp by 5 degrees per week.

9. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I lost power during those really bad storms Tennessee had a week and a half ago.

My four Delaware chicks were two weeks old at the time I lost power, and I was out of power for over 12 hours.

The chicks seemed to handle it just fine. It was night when I first lost power, so I covered their cage with a woolen blanket. But by 10 am, the sun was heating up my house some, so I uncovered the two week old babies, and they did just fine without any lamp heat at all.

After that, my wife and I observed them, and they did not seem cold even after the power came back on. They seemed to just eat, drink, play and sleep normally with absolutely no sign of them being cold. So we never turned the heat lamp back on.

Of course, Delaware chicks do feather out quicker than some other breeds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by