1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 angry roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angryroosters, Aug 14, 2016.

1. angryroosters

angryroosters New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    Hi guys. I am a new member.
    I have 3 roosters and they are now 7 months old and recently they have started to show aggresive behaviour, they fight continuously and bruise eachothers crown. I am very worried. How do I tackle this? Are they ready to mate?

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Hi, and [​IMG] I hope somebody has some useful help for you! xxx[​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from kansas, angryroosters, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us! At 7 months they are more than ready to mate. They've been ready for some time. The fights are for breeding dominance. You didn't say how many hens you had, but 8-10 hens per rooster is a pretty good ratio. So unless you have a couple dozen hens or more, fights will be frequent. My biggest fear would not be what the roosters are doing to each other in their fights, but for the hens getting repeatedly bred. They start to get pretty roughed up from repeated daily matings from multiple roosters. If your ratio is out of proportion you may be dealing with a rooster surplus that you will need to address. Good luck to you! :)

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC!! You can hover over Forum (up at the very top of this page) then go and hover over Raising BackYard Chickens then click on Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying. You can post your question there and I am sure you will get good answers! Do your roosters have any hens with them? If so, how many? I have about 25 hens and 9 roosters. My roosters are constantly beating up on each other and blooding each other up! If they are 7 months old, they have reached sexual maturity, which always makes them fight alot.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You either need to rehome a couple roosters or add more hens, so each can have a flock of 10. A lot of aggressive roosters also take out their hostility on their owners.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Sounds like you have your hands full - for what its worth, I get rid of two of the roos - we all do things differently however, and of course it depends on your goals / objectives.

Best wishes
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I'm personally thinking...sell, or place a couple, only keep one...or, you will have to separate them with the hens you want to breed them with. They just aren't going to get along..unless separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by