3 barred rock chicks and 2 black copper maran chicks? 2 1/2 wks old.

tulsabyc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Tulsa
Hi, I am a new member and new to raising chicks and keeping a backyard flock. I have 4 laying hens now in my chicken tractor, but decided to raise a few chicks too! I got them when they were 2 days old, now they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. How soon can you tell the gender?

If I do this right, hopefully pictures will be at the bottom. The first two are black copper marans (I think) ,the last three are barred rocks (I think).

1. Looking kind of rooish to me ..
hmm.png

2. Maybe a roo also? His/her head is kind of turned side ways so very hard to tell
hmm.png

3. Roo
4. Hen
5. Roo

Thanks for the insights! I guess I am not doing so well with getting hens. What do you do with the roo's if you don't want them? The two barreds are starting to get a little fiesty in the brooder. Are they worth the trouble raising for meat?

They are all roosters with the exception of #2....on the fence with this one.

Do the barred birds have white legs and feathered shanks????? The 4th photo sure looks like it. If that is the case then you have Cuckoo Marans.
smile.png

*edited to add* Barred Rocks have yellow legs and no shank feathering.

Last edited:
Hi pinkchick, the "barreds" don't have shank feathers but they aren't really yellow either. They are more dark/ opaquely colored, kinda spotty.

It's too bad they all seem to be roosters. They 4th one is smaller and isn't posturing with the other 2, so I though it might be a pullet. Hopefully one of my marans will turn out to be a hen. If you don't mind, can I ask you a couple of other questions? How long til I should know for sure if all the barreds are cockerels and with the morans? What do people normally do with cockerels? I don't have the luxury of having a large flock, and my neighbors wouldn't like a rooster, and I don't think I want one anyway.

It hard to tell at this age but its lookin like you have at least two roos. One of each breed. But i could be totaly wrong so dont take my word for it.

What age do you normally have to wait until before deciding for sure they are cockerels. I was hoping to go at least 2 for 5, maybe 3 for 5 with raising the lil ones
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom