3 barred rock chicks and 2 black copper maran chicks? 2 1/2 wks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tulsabyc, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tulsabyc

tulsabyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Tulsa
    Hi, I am a new member and new to raising chicks and keeping a backyard flock. I have 4 laying hens now in my chicken tractor, but decided to raise a few chicks too! I got them when they were 2 days old, now they are about 2 1/2 weeks old. How soon can you tell the gender?

If I do this right, hopefully pictures will be at the bottom. The first two are black copper marans (I think) ,the last three are barred rocks (I think).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    1. Looking kind of rooish to me .. [​IMG]
    2. Maybe a roo also? His/her head is kind of turned side ways so very hard to tell [​IMG]
    3. Roo
    4. Hen
    5. Roo

3. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

rooster
    pullet
    rooster
    rooster
    rooster

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

5. tulsabyc

Aug 31, 2010
    Tulsa
    Thanks for the insights! I guess I am not doing so well with getting hens. What do you do with the roo's if you don't want them? The two barreds are starting to get a little fiesty in the brooder. Are they worth the trouble raising for meat?

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    They are all roosters with the exception of #2....on the fence with this one.

Do the barred birds have white legs and feathered shanks????? The 4th photo sure looks like it. If that is the case then you have Cuckoo Marans. [​IMG]

*edited to add* Barred Rocks have yellow legs and no shank feathering.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

8. tulsabyc

Aug 31, 2010
    Tulsa
    Hi pinkchick, the "barreds" don't have shank feathers but they aren't really yellow either. They are more dark/ opaquely colored, kinda spotty.

It's too bad they all seem to be roosters. They 4th one is smaller and isn't posturing with the other 2, so I though it might be a pullet. Hopefully one of my marans will turn out to be a hen. If you don't mind, can I ask you a couple of other questions? How long til I should know for sure if all the barreds are cockerels and with the morans? What do people normally do with cockerels? I don't have the luxury of having a large flock, and my neighbors wouldn't like a rooster, and I don't think I want one anyway.

9. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    It hard to tell at this age but its lookin like you have at least two roos. One of each breed. But i could be totaly wrong so dont take my word for it.

10. tulsabyc

Aug 31, 2010
    Tulsa
    What age do you normally have to wait until before deciding for sure they are cockerels. I was hoping to go at least 2 for 5, maybe 3 for 5 with raising the lil ones [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by