3 Belgian D'Uccle chicks and 1 Bearded Silkie chick - male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zoomom, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Can anyone tell me if these look like male or female? There is a 4 week old, a 5 week old and a 6 week old. All were compared to the others of the same age at the farm to try to get the smallest least red combs possible, although I think the 6 week old "may" be a boy. It is very confident.

General pic.
    [​IMG]

The three Belgian chicks - top to bottom, 6 weeks, 5 weeks, 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]

6 week old chick
    [​IMG]

6 week old chick
    [​IMG]

5 week old chick, 4 week at top.
    [​IMG]

The Silkie is 6 weeks old. I will get better pics of her/him, but there is a flat area where the comb would be. The others had a bump.
    6 week old Silkie
    [​IMG]

6 week old Silkie's face
    [​IMG]

Thank you for any help! I will add more pics this weekend.

2. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I am pretty much certain that your 6-week-old d'Uccle is a boy. It's got a lot of red for that age, and the tail looks a bit boyish.

I don't know about the others, and I've never really tried Silkie sexing before, so maybe someone more experienced can help you out on that. The other two d'Uccles don't have nearly as much red as your six-week-old, though, so hopefully at least the 5-weeker is a girl. [​IMG]

3. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for your help, wordgirl.
    [​IMG]

4. MeNMyGirls

MeNMyGirls New Egg

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm a total newbie beginner, but....I have two silkies that are about 8 - 9 weeks old. They are showing different wattles/combs from each other, one is much more pronounced with wattles while the other has nothing. Your's look like the one I am guessing is my girl. FYI, just cause I didn't really know before, but the silkies wattles/combs are black!

Soooo, my guess ~ the silkie is a very pretty girl!

5. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    Thanks for the opinion. I really want her to be a girl. Are your Silkies Non-bearded or Bearded? My older girl Aniera is a non-beared Silkie. She has pretty large wattles that are blue/black but she lays eggs so I know she is a girl for sure.
    This one is Bearded, so I don't know if I'll be able to see wattles underneath the feathers. Does anyone know if Bearded Silkies get wattles too or do I just go by the comb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by