3 birds - 4 questions....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by psimons2004, Dec 5, 2011.

1. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Good afternoon -
    Been on here for 3 days with injured birds so I figured I'd ask my breed and gender questions too!
    This is Juliet - She is definetly a bantum hen, I bought her as a camping, which she def. is not.
    The closest I have seen on line is a bantum english game hen. What ever she is she is a cutie and SUPER sweet!
    The kids play with her sometimes all day on the swing set, sand box, even sledding!

[​IMG]

Then one day the kids were crying that Juliet got out, so we caught her and put her back ---- and then there were two!
    This 'wild' chicken looked the same and was the same size, but kept growing and now she looks very similar in color and her head...
    She may even actually be a wild bird... This one is NOT a bantum.

[​IMG]
    and same bird - different view - better light:
    [​IMG]

and lastly - last weekend the neighbor called us and said one of our birds got out. So I went over and caught it - in their basement (LOL),
    it again was not one of ours - really we have a very secure coop. This one I have NO idea. If I had to guess I would say Copper Maran Cockerl...
    What do you think??? Roo or pullet? and breed suggestions?? When I am around they seem to all be getting along splendidly - I have photos of it sitting between my two roos on the perch - but in the last 3 days I have had two severly injured birds and no idea how it happened so I am thinking roo or at least a very aggressive bird... And it seems to stand like a roo, but my best broody hen is built just like that....

[​IMG]
    and another view:
    [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Juliet--looks like a Silver Duckwing OEGB. Might be Golden but I'm leaning more too Silver.
    The Other Hen---Looks to be a cross
    The Cockerel---Maybe some kind of cross or just another EE

3. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I am very new to all this but from what I have read on here..My guess is that the two found bird are Roos. The first found one has pointy feathers...looks like hackles & saddle feathers too. The second found one has rooster looking legs and shiny feathers( greenish-black sheen).. I have also read on here that most birds that have brown spots on shoulders, like that one does, are roos. These are just guesses... I am still learning & love to see if what I'm reading is right. keep up updated!

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

1st is a hen other two r roos. 1st is OEGB and the other two are mix breeds

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I'm glad you are being observant, but The second chicken (1st found) looks to be fluffed out, wet, or something making the feathers look disoriented. In most breeds the Salmon colored chest indicates Female. [​IMG]

6. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:I'm glad you are being observant, but The second chicken (1st found) looks to be fluffed out, wet, or something making the feathers look disoriented. In most breeds the Salmon colored chest indicates Female. [​IMG]

Thanks for the info! I was suckered by the lady I got my chickens from (suppose to be 3 hens but got a roo too). I have decided to be better informed next time!

7. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    You guys are great I'm trying to find a better photo of that second one... We have had her for 2 months now and she acts like a hen, but she has doubled in size so it's a young bird...
    The kids named her ginger... and she is all fluffed up with the -14 temps!!!! And what exactly does OEGB stand for??? Probably I should know that, LOL, but I don't. Thanks!!! That seems to be a pretty consistent view! Thanks!
    Here's a good one with the both Juliet the bantum and ginger...
    [​IMG]

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i change my answer looking at the new pic. i say two hens and one roo. roo is the EE looking one in the last pic

9. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    OEGB is her breed, and it stands for Old English Game Bantam. Her color is Silver Duckwing. The second one looks like a Phoenix hen. She may have longer tail feathers like a male but thats pretty typical of some Phoenix birds. Very pretty birds! Third looks like some sort of easter egger mix or something, and it looks like a cockerel.

~Casey

10. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Perfect thanks!!! I'm gonna go with that! Thanks!!! Anybody want the cockerl?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by