3 Black Australorps. Is one a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frequent Flyer, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My guess is the one in the middle is a boy but I wanted to make sure before I return him/her or give it away. They are between 5 and 6 weeks old.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    If they are all the same age then the one in the middle is definitely a boy. The other two are pullets. I would keep your cockerel though, he looks pretty.[​IMG]

3. Frequent Flyer

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    If he is a cockerel, I'll need to send him away. All three birds are very calm tempered and are easily handled by the children. I haven't noticed any difference in the saddle feathers among the three. The only difference is the middle feels more solid and has that little comb. *Fingers crossed she isn't a he* [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Pic 1 - pullet
    Pic 2 - rooster
    Pic 3 - pullet

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:even if it is a boy you'll want to wait until it is full grown to rehome, its easier to rehome a full grown rooster [​IMG] i hope that it's a girl [​IMG]

6. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    Quote:GOOD ANSWER AGREE A MILLION PERCENT!

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I have to agree with the others, but unless its illegal for you to keep a rooster, I'd give him a chance. I have 3 roosters that I adore. One is an indoor alarm clock (Serama), and two are in the coops just outside my bedroom. I never have to worry about waking up late if the power goes out! They are only noisy in the morning for the first 30 minutes after sunrise, then they're pretty subdued throughout the rest of the day. They can be very sweet, and chivalrous with their hens. Its so cute! If they get testy... check out Gritsar's (BYC member) page on taming roos.

Roos aren't always a bad thing. I started off thinking that way, but then I had a few that won my heart... [​IMG]

8. Frequent Flyer

Mar 29, 2011
    Oregon
    I would have no problem keeping him if we had a few acres, but since I live in the suburbs, it is illegal for me to keep him. Shame too because he is a very sweet guy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by