3 Black Chickies...Need ID Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WendyF, Aug 26, 2014.

1. WendyF

WendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    Sooo....I'm a goof & ordered 3 black chicks at once. They're all supposed to be sexed females, a Jersey Giant, Australorp, & an Orpington. I'm having trouble determining which is which. Can anyone here help me? Here they are at 6 days old.

This is Chick # 5 in the front – Blackest legs & feet, least amount of white on feathers, most ridgey beak - Black Orpington? I'm thinking Orpington because her beak ridges & wing feathers look so much like my 2 older Orpingtons did at this age, she is the same size as they were, and her tail feathers are sprouting at the same rate as the Buff Orpington I received with her (same age):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick # 7 – Yellowest Feet bottoms, black beak w/pink tip, whitest shoulders – Jersey Giant? This is the one some of you thought may be the Jersey Giant; you can see in this pic how much more yellow the bottoms of her feet are getting - the one that may be the Australorp has no yellowing on her feet - all pink (her foot is in the back). Chick #7 is on our left as we look at the picture:
    [​IMG]
    Chick # 8 – The one Ron thought may be the Australorp in my original post, her toes & bottom of feet are pink. She is the biggest of the 3 by far, half pink half black beak, on our right in back as we look at the picture - Australorp?:
    [​IMG]
    I would sure appreciate any input you may have.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Unfortunately, most black chicks look virtually identical when they're young. If I had to guess, I would agree that #7 is a Jersey Giant, since only that breed has yellow feet bottoms. Both Australorps and Orpingtons have white feet bottoms, though.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed. You'll only be able to tell the Orpington from the Australorp when they get older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by