1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 boxes, 20 chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Dec 18, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Since having chickens, I notice they all want to lay in the same box. So, as my chicken math has exploded, will 3 nests still be enough for all of the chickens (when they all finally start laying again)? The coop itself, where they sleep, is big enough for about 30, and they are outside 365 days a year....they are never "cooped up". So, they only go in the coop to sleep and lay. Do they need more nest boxes? Or will they just wait their turn?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I'd go with 5 hens per nest ratio or you may find they lay on the floor. And I can hardly break them of that once they start.

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I just replied to another nesting box post. I have 8 currently laying, and they wait their turns for 1 box.... [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If they're outside, they will probably find other places to lay. [​IMG] Free ranging our chooks has led to all sorts of interesting escapades battling the undergrowth... [​IMG]
    They'll probably wait their turn though, if everyone's laying in the same nest. Mine do that too.

5. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I have 9 hens and 5 boxes. They use 2 of them.

6. pkazakidis

pkazakidis New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    I have 20 layers and they all lay in the same nest.The second never gets used.I get 18-20 eggs a day. Every other day or so I will get one on the floor

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 6 boxes and 20 chickens - 8 of which are currently laying. They use 4 of the 6 boxes and one girl will only lay behind a bale of hay in the duck yard. If I lock the door, she lays on the ground outside the duckyard fence. I don't know how to get her laying in the boxes, stubborn little girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by