3 breeds to one Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by caseyrocksit, Jul 26, 2014.

1. caseyrocksit

caseyrocksit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Ok, So I have 4 bard rocks about ten weeks old, 4 Rhode Island heritages around 15 weeks and 2 Lavender Orpingtons about 21 weeks old ..all are pullets and ONE Rooster who is a Lavender Orpington! the 3 Orpingtons seem to stick together. Will the Rooster breed with the other hens when they are older ?? And if so .... what kind of chickens will I get from a LAvender orpington Rooster when he breeds with my Bardrocks and Rhode Island Reds?
    And then I still have the whole debuckle of wanting to gather eggs for eating even with the Rooster around!

All advice would help and be appreciated! Thank you so much~

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A rooster will breed any hen - he cares not about breed. You will have mixed breed chicks from his matings with the other hens. What is the "debuckle" you are anticipating with regards to the eggs due to the roosters presence - are you concerned about eating fertilized eggs or?

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

Yes, your rooster will breed all the hens when they're of age. You will get mutts, or "barnyard mixes", or "designer chickens" if you wish to call them that. They will be just as pretty and fun to watch as your purebreds. I have a whole flock of mixed breeds. The fun part is, you will have no idea what they're going to look like until after they've hatched and are feathered out. Now, if you're concerned about keeping your breeds true, you'll have to separate your rooster from the other hens. But if you just want to raise chicks as replacement birds for your own flock, have fun. If you decide to raise chicks, do you have a plan for your extra roosters, or what to do when your first hens are old enough that they are no longer laying? Do you have room to keep every extra chicken that you will end up with? Are you able to put the extras in the freezer? Do you know for sure you can find homes for them? These really are things you need to be thinking about NOW - before you end up back here saying, "I have too many roosters, what do I do? I've raised them since they were babies and can't stand the thought of eating them." Because the reality is, it's not easy finding homes for extra roosters or spent hens.

Go ahead and gather your fertile eggs for eating. Really, it's OK. You won't even know the difference. Collect them every day, and there will be no chances of finding an unpleasant surprise. The eggs will not begin to develop until they have been incubated (usually either under a hen or in an incubator) for at least 24 hours at around 99 - 100 degrees.

Most importantly, enjoy your flock. Too many people overthink raising chickens and cause themselves too much stress. Make sure they have shelter, a secure place to sleep at night, food, and water and they're good.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. caseyrocksit

Jul 20, 2014
    Bobbi- j
    You hit the nail right on the head !! I have thought about all these things , yes maybe some things I did overthink but the whole reasoning for getting chickens was/ is starting a homestead life and being self - sufficient . Yes I'm aware I'll have to chop some heads and mentally prepare myself , but it will happen ! Thankyou so much for your input and reply , I do greatly appreciate it !

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Casey: Re: what kind of chicks you'll get. They'll all be cute! But, I believe that your Lav. Orp. will produce sex linked chicks with your Barred rocks. You'll be able to identify the roos by a white spot on the top of their heads, while the pullets will have solid colored heads. I'm not sure if the pullets will be black or have more of the lav. coloring. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!!!

6. caseyrocksit

Jul 20, 2014
    Lazy Gardener
    Thankyou for that bit of information , it's very interesting and appreciate ! I'm really trying to figure out a system of what I'm going to do and how before things get crazy ! But I sure do appreciate all the feedback and info I'm getting !! ;)

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you're all set to go, then! Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by