3 Broodies Last Year, None This Year - Common?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serinat, May 10, 2011.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I had three successful hatches under broody chickens last year, the first having started in early May. We're going into mid-May, and I have not one broody. Is this common? Those broodies from last year are still around, just not getting broody.

I'd love to have a broody before 5/18, when my chicks and poults are due, LOL.

2. pruitt514

pruitt514 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Suches, Ga
    It all depends on the chickens. They go by there own rules with regards to broodiness. It can be fustrating that why I bought a incubator. [​IMG]

3. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah, I hate not having any broodies. I bought the Brinsea Eco to hatch my turkeys, because I didn't want to wait for a broody hen (and I didn't want to risk her abandoning my expensive turkey eggs). But now that poults and chicks I set are almost due, I sure would love a broody hen to sneak some of the chicks under. They do such a better job than I do....

I have done everything I can to encourage broodiness. Plenty of nest boxes, including a small travel dog crate that is nice and enclosed. All nest boxes have wooden eggs for them to sit on. The days have been long and warm. Now I just wait.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Fill the incubator and they will all go broody. I already had to break 3 from their spell. I am letting Mrs. Grumpy go through with it as I plan on sneaking the chicks from my incubator under her.

They all went broody a week after I filled up the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by