3 cats 1 dog plus a possible 1 more cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PaulaSB12, Mar 13, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Someone at work is having to move but can't take her 12 year old silver tom cat (don't know what breed it is) called Alfie, she is buying her dream home (personally any house that couldn't take my cats isn't a dream home but never mind. Now If he comes to me I will put him in the back room of the house with a litter box and access to the back porch. Then he and the other cats can see each other spit snarl and all that lot without touching and hurting anyone. If and when that stops I was thinking of letting him in the rest of the house in stages starting with being in the sitting room in a dog cage so he can see and touch the others but still be safe. Then if that works slowly let him mix with the others. Does this sound about right for introducing another cat into the house. Because if its me or being put down he is coming home with me.

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I dont understand why she cant take him if she is buying, not renting. Sounds like an excuse to me. He is lucky someone is willing to take him in. Your plan sounds good, except that I wouldnt let them see each other right away. Give them a few days to sniff under the closed door first. Also, be sure you add litterboxes to the home in case anyone doesnt want to share.

3. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Quite frankly its what is puzzling me she has two cats a queen and Alfie. For some reason she says she is not able to put a cat flap on the house so Alfie needs a new home. She is asking her ex husband if he wants the cat but if not he is coming to me. I will put a new litter box in the back of the house and see how it goes. When Queenie forgot her ofspring it took 2 years to intergrate back in with them so I am willing to wait for as long as it takes. I will not let an old boy be put down for no reason.

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Is it possible Alfie is having litter box troubles? That's just what came to mind regarding the cat flap. If so, will you be able to house him (ie. outdoors/easy to clean area/etc)? Good on you for offering him a home.

5. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    I am not worried about litter box concerns. He will have his own litter box and after my garden tiles are relayed a 3 metre by 3 metre cat pen to play in, its going to have shelves to sit on and a small garden patch with cat grass and catnip in it.

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Quote: Sounds perfect! [​IMG]

7. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    She is talking about getting rid of Alfie again. She moved a 12 year old cat from one house to another didn't give him a nice safe place so he could settle down and is now offended because he is spraying and could damage her carpets. So again I may end up with a 12 year old tom. There is an ikea chair bed in the room but if he sprays that no problem its old so can be replaced. The carpet has got to go soon anyway so if he sprays, or claws them no problem I just find it hard to think about giving a cat away over a carpet.I suggested feliway to try and sooth him enough to stop the behaviour but told her bring him to me if she does get rid of him.

8. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Well she didn't do any of the things I suggested to do. Put him in a room with felliway to calm him and let him settle down. So two weeks after moving him from one house to another he I coming to me. Personally I think it's not fair to the old boy but it's either live with me or be put down all for peeing on the carpet.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have several cats and have moved them twice. Only had a problem with one (the youngest female) about litter boxes and we're dealing with that. I don't understand people who get pets and treat them like they are disposable. Where's the love, the attachment? I worry about those people. Hope your co-worker doesn't have children who might give her problems someday.

10. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    Well he is here shut in the back room with the back porch. The hasn't been any spitting yet but the others know about him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by