3 chickens dead.. but how?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by homesteader34, May 16, 2008.

1. homesteader34

homesteader34 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    We found 3 of our 13 hens (production red) dead this morning. All 3 in different areas. Only blood on them was in stool where they died. No signs of an attack. No marks on them. We also had no eggs this morning. Which is VERY unusual. We did have a thunderstorm, could they have drowned? They are less than a yr old.. could it just be old age? I need to look up life span for my babies. In info would be great. Or signs to look for so I will know if it was a predator or a disease.

Thanks

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I'd certainly keep a close eye on your survivors. Sounds like they caught something. Chickens live a whole lot longer than a year. Closer to 15.

3. homesteader34

homesteader34 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yeah, Im reading the archives and just realized it wasnt the age factor. Im just worried about my other hens now. Plus, I give to a needy family and dont want to get anyone sick.

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    There may not be any visable signs of trauma on the chickens. Their feathers do conceal alot of possible damage. I had a racoon get into my birds one night and he killed just to kill. Not any visable injuries to the birds but after skinning them, it showed that the coon bit them in the neck, breast, and back. Just enough to kill them. Then went after his next target. I wouldn't be suprised that you may have a sickness or disease either if there is no sign of attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by