1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 chickens = how many nipples and what size jug?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greenbottle27, Jun 23, 2011.

1. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    I'm getting my first ever chicks in august after we all settle in from vacations. I can't WAIT!! I have my brooder and coop but need some important extras [​IMG]

I'd like to use the nipple system for water.

I will be the proud momma of 2-3 chickens max. I say 2, DH says 3.

How many nipples do I need?
    And what sized jug should I use?
    How long will a gallon jug last?

Based on my coop set-up where would you place the nipple? Inside or outside the coop - or should I have both?

If it matters, I live in Southern NJ, 90 minutes from Cape May.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS!!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

According to the guy I bought the nipples from, you can get by with one (for up to 5 chickens I think). I don't know the rest of the answers to your questions though.

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    One nipple will be enough for your flock. The chickens will spend most of theiday outside during the non freezing weather so have it out there then. When the weater is col have it inside to reduce freezing.

Think about a nipple on a pipe attached to a tank with tubing so you can easily move the drinker when the time comes. 100 laying hens will drink just over 5 gallons of water a day.

Is that a metal perch pole? If it is that is a bad idea. Conducts to much heat away from the body in the winter time and has no positive benefits in the summer. You chickens would choose to roost on a flat 2 x 4 rather than what you have , all other things being equal.

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Don't do what I did and put 5 nipples in a 5 gal bucket for 6 chickens. I don't know what I was thinking.

If you are in NJ, that roost pole will be a problem if it is metal. A 2x3 or 2x4 on its side makes a great perch in colder areas. The larger flat area makes the chickens able to sleep covering their feet with their body so they don't get frostbitten toes.

Nice looking coop, BTW.

5. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I have 23 chickens and they have been drinking almost 4 gallons of water a day. We are located in Florida and have been hitting 103, so I guess I can say I am surprised.

I have 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples x2.

6. greenbottle27

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    You guys are the best! Thanks for the input and advice! I'm adding an A frame to the roof (flat roof was standard) and sorta pictured the water tank unit under a hinged liftable A framed roof..., with maybe a split nipple pipe thingy going inside the coop and one outside? DH says I have a vivid imagination.

The roost is not metal, it's a natural limb, although it does look like a piece of pipe. I am adding a caddy corner 2x4 roost opposite the wall pictured. Rectangle, round, skinny, fat..the girls will have options [​IMG]

Any other thoughts or ideas are welcomed!

7. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Regardless of how many birds it is serving, I always put at least two nipples on each container waterer. I worry that if I just put one it may clog and leave them unable to access the water.

8. greenbottle27

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    Quote:Good thought Nicole! I will have more than one for sure!!

9. Tea S.

Tea S. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    what type of nipples exactly are put in the buckets? and do you silicone the nipple in place?

Thanks!

T

10. greenbottle27

Jun 11, 2011
    Southern NJ
    Tea S. :

what type of nipples exactly are put in the buckets? and do you silicone the nipple in place?

Thanks!

T

*lol* SOunds like you are new to nipples? [​IMG] I was until this forum - and thank goodness for this place!

Here is an example of the nipples http://www.avianaquamiser.com/chickennipple/ somebody here sells them and you can get them on e-bay/amazon

Sorry if I am breaking a "rule" by posting this link - feel free to moderate as needed.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by