1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 chickens with raw butts, 1 bleeding.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gbartha, Dec 31, 2016.

1. gbartha

gbartha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

I have 5 chickens that range in age and breeds. Two are barred rock mixes and 3 are buffs. 3 of them have pecked butts with two of them bleeding. One is pecked clean. Could it be a lack of protein? They are on 16% protein layer food.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. CWP1966

CWP1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Same problem here but it's only on my dark colored hens. Buffs and White Rocks look fine. I was bad about giving them too much scratch. I was using 16% crumbles. I've switched to 20% flock raiser. I looked them over good for mites at night with a flashlight, didn't see anything.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Exactly....Protein......I feed a mix of Grower and layer at 50/50.........Until my Birds are 1 years old and then finisher 50/50 mixed with layer till hard molt...Then Grower and after first egg I go back to the 50/50 layer and finisher....

Cheers!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Protein level could be a factor, though plenty of people (including me) feed 16% protein feed with no feather problems. Others give their birds extra protein (20% +) and see no improvement in feather condition. Still, it wouldn't hurt to try feeding your hens a gamebird grower feed or chick starter/grower feed with at least 20% protein, and see what happens.

I'd also make sure none of the birds have mites or lice, since those can lead to irritation and feather picking. It might be a good idea to observe the flock for a while and see if it is other birds picking out the feathers--occasionally, chickens will bully a few birds and cause damage.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Also look up thrush.......Not sure, but worth a look.....

Cheers!

6. gbartha

gbartha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    no mites but I will look again. Someone suggested spraying them with Blu kote. I have very fine chick starter/grower. Should I buy crumbles or can I mix the fine mix with the pellets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by