3 chickens wont start laying but other 3 are laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eandj23, Nov 4, 2014.

1. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    I have six total chickens in a backyard coup with an extended run area. 3 are buff orpington and 3 are barred rock. 3 of the 6 have been laying for a few months now but the other 3 havent laid a single egg. All 6 chickens are 9 months older (2 of the laying ladies are a few weeks older).

Watching the ladies i have confirmed its the same 3 ladies that are laying and they are laying consistently 6 eggs a week each.

I have been extremely patient waiting for them to lay but I am starting to think something is wrong with the 3 that arent laying. All 6 of the ladies get to come out of the coop almost daily and free range and they are all on organic layer feed.

I need any and all input to help figure out what is going on so that I can figure out how to fix it.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP!

Erik

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    They definitely arent laying in hidden nests. While my yard is "big" by residential terms...its isnt THAT big. All the laying ladies go straight to the coop during the day to lay so its easy to see which are laying and which arent.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is it one breed that is laying and the other isn't?

They are sneeeeaaaaky and can find places to lay that you wouldn't dream of looking.
    I'd coop them up for a week to be sure.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

You could also check their pelvic bone span.
    Less than 2 fingers width apart = not laying, 2 fingers width or more = laying.

5. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Two of the ladies laying are Barred Rocks and the third is a Buff.

I'll do another look through around the yard but since we have people over a lot and want our yard somewhat clean i am usually raking and putting stuff back in order after the chickens go back in the coop. There aren't many places they can lay in my backyard that would be hidden.

Are there any reasons a chicken would never start laying? I dont want to sound stupid but can there be bad genetics for chickens that cause them to not lay? Lack of nutrients? Lack of coop space? I'm quite confused since half are laying and the others arent.

We are obviously keeping chickens for their eggs so if these chickens wont lay than i dont know if we should get rid of the non-layers and start with 3 new chicks.

6. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Could you please post clear pics that include front and side views of the ladies who aren't laying?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Yes...i will get pictures of all the ladies as well as coop area.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sure, a hen can have a defective egg gland and never lay an egg once, just for example. It's just that the odds would seem to be aginst 3 out of 6 having a problem like this.

9. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Very sorry for the delay in posting the pics. I have been in a business trip and returned to come down with a nasty flu bug :(

Here are some pics of the ladies and my coop set up.[​IMG]open the door for them every morning around 7am and they are out all day.

[​IMG]These are the two buff's that AREN'T laying.

[​IMG]100% positive that this Buff mama is laying.

[​IMG]Pretty sure this is one of the Barred Rock that is laying...they are harder to tell apart.

[​IMG]The other two barred rocks. The one on the right i believe is the third layer.

10. eandj23

eandj23 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    My best guess is that the three ladies that arent laying is because it got late in the season and their laying will kick in next spring. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by