3 chicks 1 egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3hotchicks, Sep 15, 2012.

1. 3hotchicks

3hotchicks New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    I have 3 young chickens, my first egg came on aug 16th, by the end of the day, there were a total of 3 eggs laid. Since that day, we are only getting one egg a day. We started with one nesting box, as I read that they tend to use the same one. We just added a box for each hen, hoping that that would change things, and on day two, has not. Why would they all seem to lay an egg on the first day, but not continue that pace?

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Because they are young, it can take time for pullets to lay regular. And depending on breed some may lay just twice a week etc.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    In last 3 days I have gotten a first egg from 3 of my girls. Different one each day. Waiting for the other 3 to start or second egg from first 3. I have been there when first 2 were laid and the one from today was a perch lay, the other 2 sought out a nest box, so they should also do same for second egg. I hope anyways. They will get more consistent over the next month.

4. Hedgfun

Hedgfun Out Of The Brooder

well from our 3 pullets, we get the following:

1 laying 1 large egg every day
    1 laying 1 small egg with no shell every day
    1 not laying at all

They are all the same age, all the same breed. Good diet/nutrition etc

5. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Out of my four......One lays everyday......one lays most everyday, one lays all but one day a week and Lucy...well, maybe once a week we get a big beautiful egg from her. I don't know why she lays so infrequently????? ~Beulah

6. Hedgfun

Hedgfun Out Of The Brooder

quick update:

All 3 now laying with hard thick shells :)

7. 3hotchicks

3hotchicks New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the replies! There is definite evidence that the girls are using all three nesting boxes, but still only getting 1 egg a day? Patiently I wait, eagerly I check!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by