3 Chicks, 2 Broodies - Math Question

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Ok, folks. I have a different kind of chicken math question.

I just got 3 day olds, my intention is to put them under my broody. If she takes them, great! If not, I can bring them inside or try broody #2.

Or.... Could I put 2 under one broody and 1 under the other? I ask because I had a single chick raised by a broody, and the poor thing turned out to be neurotic and so far down the pecking order it isn't funny. I attribute it to not having any same age buddies. But there are 3 babies in this batch. Would that work, or would the 1 still be a loner because it'd have a different mama?

From the chicks perspective all under 1 is best. From the perspective of what to do with the broodies, I would give 2 and 1. From my experience when that "mom left us to fend for our self stage" comes the chicks from different mothers tend to bond. This will hopefully avoid the neurotic loner situation that sometimes happens to single chicks.

From the chicks perspective all under 1 is best. From the perspective of what to do with the broodies, I would give 2 and 1. From my experience when that "mom left us to fend for our self stage" comes the chicks from different mothers tend to bond. This will hopefully avoid the neurotic loner situation that sometimes happens to single chicks.
My singleton is a super neurotic loner, for sure. Lesson learned the hard way...

And I'll add that broody #2 is a perpetually broody Silkie who is a pro at being broody and staying healthy. I'm putting these under broody #1, a Brahma who isn't managing her self-care well. I've tried everything to break her (broody jail, dunking her in water, ice under the crate, bringing her inside out of desperation).

Plus, it's a great excuse for babies! These are the first chicks I've added in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom