1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 chicks.. 5-6 weeks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by balljet, Jul 4, 2016.

1. balljet

balljet Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    Hello all.. these are my 3 new chicks, one SLW, one GLW and an Ameraucana.. Happy Birthday America, today!!

Anyhow, was worried about them getting along since the Ameraucana ( 6 weeks old) was purchased last and smaler (the Wyandottes are 5 weeks and bigger)

They seem to be getting along just fine..LOL, they are party gals!

Anyway, they went outside at night for the first time last night, low was 57F.. It is only that early in the morning and quickly heats up to about 90 during the day.. They are in the shade but seem to not like the heat much.

Worried about the morning chill, wish they would sleep in more, they have a double box for insulation.. but no, they are up early!.

Could anyone tell me if the SLW looks like a boy ?? my pictures are bad.. will try and get better ones..They don't seem to wanna stand still and pose...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hi there! Welcome to BYC :)

Looks & sounds like they are doing great so far! I don't see any hackle feathers on the neck of the SLW but it could be too early for that, I'm not sure. As far as morning chill, from the temperature you mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yay for getting chickens!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He is showing some red early. I kinda lean toward cockerel. You can get more opinions if you post at "what breed or gender is this."

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    duplicate post - sorry

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. balljet

balljet Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    Thank you guys.... I think they are great... And hoping for all hens!

Will try a better pic and post in gender topic..

Thanks for telling me not to worry about temp!! Yah!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Cold is easier for chickens to deal with, than heat. You may wish to do a search into what you can do to help your chickens through the summer heat.

All the best
    Ct

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by