3 chicks hatched on 7th, 9 eggs left under setting hen, what to do????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anana, Aug 9, 2008.

1. anana

anana New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    My hen started setting on 6 eggs the 19th of july. She kept laying and added 6 more eggs, total 12. On August 7th 3 chicks hatched out. She is still setting on the unhatched eggs. The 3 chicks are doing fine. I candled some of the unhatched eggs, they are brown eggs and not real easy to see the insides. Some of the eggs were completely full of a dark shadow. Some had a dark spot about the size of a small marble. What does this mean? Should I let her keep setting or take the eggs from under her ? If I need to take the eggs from under her do I do it now or give them another day or two? Thank you for your help with this!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My hens just got off the nest yesterday and today - their babies hatched on Wed and Thursday. One hen has one egg that didn't hatch and the other has two - I guess they give up after 2-3 days.

3. anana

anana New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks for the info, I am going to leave it up to the hen to make the decision. If she is still setting in a couple more days I may candle the eggs again and see if I can tell what is going on. [​IMG]

4. Ky Chicken Fan

Ky Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I am not an expert by any means, but I haven't had any of my hens continue laying after they were already sitting. If she laid 6 more eggs, then the 6th egg must be at least 6 days behind the ones that have hatched in the incubation process, right?

I do know that one of my silkies hatched 4 1/2 days after her siblings. After that we tossed the last 2 eggs that were left, as they were obviously not going to hatch. If we hadn't I am not sure she wouldn't have kept sitting them. Since I knew her 2nd clutch of eggs were infertile I took them away and she still sat for 2 weeks on nothing at all. I finally gave in and got her a few standard ameraucana eggs from a friend and she is currently raising 4 babies that were almost as big when they hatched as her own babies were at a week. [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies!

5. anana

anana New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    I am not an expert either, I guess doing is learning in this case. I have never heard of a hen continuing to set on an empty nest. When I think about the 6 eggs that were laid after she started setting, there is a possibility that several were from another hen getting in there and laying next to her. Well now I hear a whole lot of noise from the chickens. well I am back..........It seems mom hen is off the nest and showing the chicks where the food and water is, there are four now, so another just hatched out in the last hour. One of the eggs on the nest has peeps and tiny pecking noises coming out of it but mom doesn't seem to want to get back on it. it has been over 30 minutes and she rolls it around every once in a while like she is saying "come on , keep up with us" but I don,t think she has any intention of sitting back on the rest of the eggs. Will this chick get too cold before it makes it's way out of the egg? How long does it take for them to get theirselves out? The egg has one place about 1/4 inch or so that is chiped out with the membrane still intact. Should I keep it warm now?

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    If it were me, I would probably bring it in and keep it warm until it hatched and the fluff completely dried, then take it back out to the mama. I've never had a broody before though. Anyone else?

7. anana

anana New Egg

Apr 20, 2007
    I made a little pouch by tucking part of my shirt into the top of a pair of granny underwear I had on, I know, sounds really atractive:). I put the egg in it and kept it warm right there by my tummy button. A couple hours later the hen returned to her nest and I put it back under her. This morning it was hatched out and doing fine. Thank you all for helping me through this, it was a learning experience. I just did not want to lose that little chick when I could hear it and see the tiny end of its beak ....all's well and it is a beautiful day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by