3 chicks out of 40 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genevieve, Jul 18, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    They were shipped, but still seems like a really poor hatch rate.

Is this typical of shipped eggs? The temp and humidity was right on the whole time and I have an automatic turner. [​IMG]

2. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not typical for my shipped eggs. I usually get between 40 and 50%

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I get about half. But, I have also had 1 of 14 hatch. Did they all come from the same source?

4. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I am not having much success either and these are my OWN eggs [​IMG] Out of something like 22+ I have 6 that were fine the day before lockdown, I am just crossing my fingers that at least 1 hatches.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

out of 30 eggs that were shipped to me.. 19 made it to lockdown and 18 hatched

I usually get 90-100% on my own eggs.. so i expected shipped eggs to be a lot less

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I just got 3 of the original 41. Most did not develop and were clear. The others that failed did not develop completely or tried to hatch and quit. I got most from one seller, and the remaining 7 from another. That's definitely lower than typical...but I have a feeling heat/jostling during shipping may have caused it.

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you do an eggtopsy or candle to check fertility? It's been a bad year for a lot of people and even those that normally have great success. We're getting closer to 12/21/2012 and the peak of the solar cycle so since we're all gonna die by 2013, it won't really matter what your hatch rate was in 7/2011 [​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. I've gotten 100% and 1%. But I would think you should have gotten some. Shipping is hard on eggs. Here's some of the stuff that makes a difference:
    Try to not buy eggs if you live at sea level and the seller lives in the mountains. I've known hatcheries to supply additional O2 to their incubators. It has to do with atmospheric pressure.
    Virilty of the rooster. Shipping hardiness of the breed. If you buy alot of eggs, crack one open and see if it's fertile.
    I leave my eggs on the counter slanted pointy side down for a full day or day and a half.
    I have 2 thermometers, and at times, 2 hygrometers. One thermometer lays on top of the eggs or at the same height.
    A friend of mine used to take a thermometer and a hygrometer out to her hen sitting on eggs. The results were the humidity was less than 30% for 18 days, then above 66% for the last 3. So I keep my eggs eggs 25-30% humidity for 18 days, and my goal for the last 3 days is 66-70%.
    I turn my eggs 2-3 times a day, and move the outer ones to the middle etc, once a day. I keep my eggs as close to 100-100.4 degrees as humanly possible. Sometimes I have to cover half the bator or add a lamp pointed at the incubator to stablize the air. Not too close.

These things have improved my hatches 100%.

Keep track of when they quit, or if they even start. If they don't start by day 7, (candling) crack it open and see if it's fertile.

9. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    boy you guys are making me nervous! this is my first time hatching eggs and i only have 9 in the incubator! i hope i get at least a couple to hatch, but hearing about getting only a few out of so many is really making me nervous since i only have 9!

10. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Genesis 1588. Automatic Turner. Humidity 45% first 18 days then 65% for the last 3. Let them sit 36 hours after arrival before putting them in the incubator pointy side down. Many arrived broken. 2 different sellers. Most candled clear all the way through. Now out of my three chicks one has died. I think I might just give up on chickens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by