3 CHOOKS .. BOYS OR GIRLS . PLEASE SEE LAST PICS POSTED THANK YOU

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs parker, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Mrs parker

Mrs parker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    brisbane Australia
    Hi

I have 3 chooks that are approx 4 months old that I'm concerned may be roosters. I haven't owned chickens that long so have no experience in doing this. Please help
    please not the blacn and grey bird have not had their tail feathers plucked out by the other birds :(

They are mixed breeds and the white one is huge!![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    That is something that irks me. When I look at major breeders, Purrepoultry, Petchicken, Cackles, etc. they typically send you the correct genders that you request. They sometimes have rare breeds, but are usually on back order. Now, if you look smaller hatcheries most say "straight run" only. Which means you could try to get 8 hens and conceivably end up with 8 roosters I understand auto-sexing. However, what about candling? What about incubating at different temperatures for roosters and hens?

Then you are left wondering, am I going to have eggs, or just chicken poo, and either having to sell a bunch of rare roos, or have rare roo rotisserie?

I feel for you, but until they are more mature, you won't truly know.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Mrs parker

Dec 20, 2014
    brisbane Australia
    Yeh I'm really. Confused I bought them as 10 week Olds. .. my.profile pick was ment to be a hen top but it's definitely a rooster ... he's a Sweety so I will keep him but I'm hoping that the other 2 aren't also! !:/

4. Oscarsgravett

Oscarsgravett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Welcome to byc they both look like pullets to me :)

5. Mrs parker

Dec 20, 2014
    brisbane Australia
    Oh I hope.so... The black one has 1 really. Long Tail feather ( u can't see it in the pic) I also noticed these too fluff their necks out and jump up and down at each other..

6. Oscarsgravett

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Oh the black one may turn out to be a roo but the white one definetely looks like a pullet however the behaviour you describe is confusing. Does the black one have any hackle feathers or spur development, the spurs arent always definate as hen can develop them sometimes. One of my hens developed small spurs. However if it has got very quick spur development that may lean towards a roo but he hackle feathers are an easier sign :)

7. Oscarsgravett

Mar 18, 2014
    East Sussex , England
    Do ypu know what type of comb the white bird has?

If it has a single comb then it should be a lot bigger if its a roo. However if its a pea or rose comb rooster can have quite small combs. :)

8. Mrs parker

Dec 20, 2014
    brisbane Australia
    I will get some more pics tommorow :) I'm pretty sure that the black ones longer feathers were plucked by the older chooks and the white one is double the size if most of my full grown austrolop and my isa browns it's biggggggg huge feet

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The black one is a rooster, but I'm tentatively thinking hen on the white one.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking rooster on both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by