3 Crates for a new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenpeeps, Dec 9, 2009.

1. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    So my wonderful husband is my hero once again. He brought me 3 crates home from work. The base will be the 4x4x4 crate. I plan on using the mid size coop 3x3x3 for building material ( nesting boxes and so forth) and the small crate for the top, which will have windows! ( 2x3x3 ). If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
    I know that I will have nesting boxes on the outside of the new coop.

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hard to picture. When you do the bump-out for the nest boxes, keep in mind a seal to prevent water from running into the boxes. Either extend roof enough to shield at least the nest bump-out itself or even far enough to cover you too if it is raining. Otherwise use a piece of vinyl baseboard for flexible flashing to keep rainwater out of the nest box at the juncture of the lid and the wall. Mount it UNDER the siding on the wall and allow it to be OVER the top of the hinged side of the lid to deflect rainwater. Should last for years. Linoleum over OSb for floor if permanent floor. Deep litter over that. On a coop that small, consider making a pullout drawer 2 ft wide under the roost. Clean it daily to keep humidity and ammonia fumes from building up in coop. [​IMG]

3. photo chick

photo chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    I am looking for crates like that. Where does he work? I'm having a hard time finding something like that round here.

4. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    My husband works at a place that builds machinery for pallets and shrink wrap machines. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by