3 crested polish roosters,what hens might work with them?

StellaLenoir

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 25, 2007
So I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

I would like to keep them. But even if I just keep one rooster, what are some good breeds of hens that might get along with my crested birds? I want to make sure I get pullets so that seems to limit the breeds that I can order.

Are there any other breeds that would leave the crested ones alone? I dont want everybody pecked to baldness.

I have lots of room, and right now they are free ranging in about an acre. I dont want too many, but 3 roos and 1 hen, does not seem like a good idea. I would like eggs, and may hatch a few babies, but mostly eggs.

any ideas please!!!

How soon do you want them? I hoping for a incubator for Christmas lol, so I will be hatching out some of my frizzled polish in the spring hopefully, along with maybe a silkie or two too!!

i have about 15 to 20 roosters running around on my 3 acres with all my girls, and my polish rooster is the alpha male. unlike the girls, the boys can see. at least mine can. (he's on my avatar and as you can see, the eyes aren't covered by the crest). anyway, his favorite girls are the RIR's and buff orps. they're more laid back and so he can get to them easier than the polish girls who can be skittish and flighty.

it might work better for you since that way you can get nice big brown eggs. if you want to breed more polish you can add some more polish girls which your buff (who'll probably go broody) can hatch for you.

just a thought

michele

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of getting some nice egg layer hens. I think we will try the breeds mentioned by Blue90292.

I think everybody in my tiny flock would be happier if the male to female ratio was a bit more balanced.

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom